Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
~C

Default Summing lookup values

I have a spreadsheet and I need to use a VLookup that then sums the returned
values that repeat. Below is an example, where Ashish shows up 3 times in my
lookup table and I want it to add together 834+534+234 and display 1062. I
can do this manuall, but have no idea how to have this automated using a
Vlookup function.

Ashish Pongal Rajesh Sanjay
1602 434 634 1068
Ashish 834
Ashish 534
Ashish 234
Pongal 434
Rajesh 634
Sanjay 334
Sanjay 734

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

<and display 1062.

I assume you mean 1602. Please be precise when asking assistance: we don't know your workbook!

Use SUMIF() instead
Look in HELP for assistance, post again in this same thread if you have difficulties.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"~C" wrote in message ...
|I have a spreadsheet and I need to use a VLookup that then sums the returned
| values that repeat. Below is an example, where Ashish shows up 3 times in my
| lookup table and I want it to add together 834+534+234 and display 1062. I
| can do this manuall, but have no idea how to have this automated using a
| Vlookup function.
|
| Ashish Pongal Rajesh Sanjay
| 1602 434 634 1068
| Ashish 834
| Ashish 534
| Ashish 234
| Pongal 434
| Rajesh 634
| Sanjay 334
| Sanjay 734

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Try something like this:

With the data list in cells A1:B10

C1: Ashish
C2: =SUMIF($A$1:$A$10,C1,$B$1:$B$10)

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"~C" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet and I need to use a VLookup that then sums the returned
values that repeat. Below is an example, where Ashish shows up 3 times in my
lookup table and I want it to add together 834+534+234 and display 1062. I
can do this manuall, but have no idea how to have this automated using a
Vlookup function.

Ashish Pongal Rajesh Sanjay
1602 434 634 1068
Ashish 834