Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 Selection too large

I am copying a row which is 208 columns wide (though not all of those columns
are in use).

Excel 2007 will only let me copy this down across about 10 rows at a time
without aborting the operation with a "Selection too large" message. Using
the same model, I have regularly copied this data across 500 rows in Excel
2003 with no problems.

It is very frustrating as it takes some 50 operations to complete the
copying.

Is this a new restriction in 2007 or have I missed a set up option?

--
Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps it's a bug. Recall that XL 2007 is currently in beta mode.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"PaulW" wrote:

I am copying a row which is 208 columns wide (though not all of those columns
are in use).

Excel 2007 will only let me copy this down across about 10 rows at a time
without aborting the operation with a "Selection too large" message. Using
the same model, I have regularly copied this data across 500 rows in Excel
2003 with no problems.

It is very frustrating as it takes some 50 operations to complete the
copying.

Is this a new restriction in 2007 or have I missed a set up option?

--
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

My thoughts as well. I'm reluctant to immediately label things as a bug in
case there is a good (but well disguised) reason! I was also slightly
surprised that no one else seems to have hit this issue as it is not an
uncommon procedure so am curious to know whether it just my installation or
have others found the same?

Hopefully, the developers will pick this point up from this forum.
--
Paul

"PaulW" wrote:

I am copying a row which is 208 columns wide (though not all of those columns
are in use).

Excel 2007 will only let me copy this down across about 10 rows at a time
without aborting the operation with a "Selection too large" message. Using
the same model, I have regularly copied this data across 500 rows in Excel
2003 with no problems.

It is very frustrating as it takes some 50 operations to complete the
copying.

Is this a new restriction in 2007 or have I missed a set up option?

--
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, I haven't noticed this particular issue when I've used XL 2007.
Prehaps you should contac the Excel 2007 developers directly at their blog:
http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/

I have contacted them before about other issues and they have been responsive.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.