Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Summarize Data and automatically update including adding rows

I can't figure out the best way to do this:
I have 3 input data sheets. Contribution info from 3 sources. Each has
difference sections of info. They want a 4th sheet that is the summary sheet
that adds all of the other sheets and is automatically sorted without the
user doing anything.
My boss wants to input data on any of the three sheets and have it
automatically appear in the correct place on the summary sheet.
I know how to link when the source is known, but how do you make new rows
automatically get added and in the correct alpha order on another worksheet??
I was thinking something like 3-D references and ranges.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

This probably won't be much help to you, but multiple data sources with a
common link between them really is a job for Access, not excel.

If you moved this into access it would solve all your problems.

Thanks,

Simon

Dawnaha wrote:
I can't figure out the best way to do this:
I have 3 input data sheets. Contribution info from 3 sources. Each has
difference sections of info. They want a 4th sheet that is the summary sheet
that adds all of the other sheets and is automatically sorted without the
user doing anything.
My boss wants to input data on any of the three sheets and have it
automatically appear in the correct place on the summary sheet.
I know how to link when the source is known, but how do you make new rows
automatically get added and in the correct alpha order on another worksheet??
I was thinking something like 3-D references and ranges.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry...clicked Post too early!

However, as long as there is a colum which can be used to link all of the
data rows (eg sheet 1 has part number and name, sheet 2 has part number and
price, sheet 3 has part number and weight etc.) then you can link upto 4 data
sources through a pivot table.

To cope with your data entry, set the pivot ranges to, say, row 10,000 then
all you have todo is refresh the pivot ever time.

HTH

Simon