Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Brent

Default Create charts that update automatically from data in rows

Hey Guys,

I am trying to create charts that are updated automatically using the
proceedure described in article 183446. I need to create charts from data in
rows rather than columns. I changed the range to A1:AA1, but I don't get the
expected result.. Could someone please describe the correct methode for me?
Thanks
--
Brent
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

Details of the OFFSET formula direct from the help file.

Syntax:

OFFSET(reference,rows,cols,height,width)

Reference - is the reference from which you want to base the offset.
Reference must refer to a cell or range of adjacent cells; otherwise,
OFFSET returns the #VALUE! error value.

Rows - is the number of rows, up or down, that you want the upper-left
cell to refer to. Using 5 as the rows argument specifies that the
upper-left cell in the reference is five rows below reference. Rows can
be positive (which means below the starting reference) or negative
(which means above the starting reference).

Cols - is the number of columns, to the left or right, that you want
the upper-left cell of the result to refer to. Using 5 as the cols
argument specifies that the upper-left cell in the reference is five
columns to the right of reference. Cols can be positive (which means to
the right of the starting reference) or negative (which means to the
left of the starting reference).

Height - is the height, in number of rows, that you want the returned
reference to be. Height must be a positive number.

Width - is the width, in number of columns, that you want the returned
reference to be. Width must be a positive number.

So if the example for columns uses this
=OFFSET($A$1,0,0,COUNTA($A$1:$A$100),1)

you will need to change it to
=OFFSET($A$1,0,0,0,COUNTA($A$1:$AA$1))

swapping the row height argument to the column Width.

Here are some other resources on dynamic named ranges, although I can
not recall if they address the row lay out directly.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...rts/index.html
http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...ps/Dynamic.htm

Cheers
Andy

Brent wrote:
Hey Guys,

I am trying to create charts that are updated automatically using the
proceedure described in article 183446. I need to create charts from data in
rows rather than columns. I changed the range to A1:AA1, but I don't get the
expected result.. Could someone please describe the correct methode for me?
Thanks

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Brent

Andy,

Thanks for the information. However I think you made a mistake. How about
=OFFSET($A$1,0,0,1,COUNTA($A$1:$AA$1))? This seems to work.
Brent

"Brent" wrote:

Hey Guys,

I am trying to create charts that are updated automatically using the
proceedure described in article 183446. I need to create charts from data in
rows rather than columns. I changed the range to A1:AA1, but I don't get the
expected result.. Could someone please describe the correct methode for me?
Thanks
--
Brent

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Brent

The important thing is that you saved me a lot of time researching the
solution. Thanks very much.
--
Brent