Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default column nameing

Hi all

I have a spreadsheet setup to keep track the no of days I have spent at
various motorsport events throughout the year and also to keep track of
championship points for these days, I have to attend a min no of days for
some types of event such as super bikes for example.

I have my first row setup at the moment to display the relevent types and
also the championships.

What I want to know is it possilbe to rename the columns from A B C D etc so
that I can name them to represent the relevent info for the column for
example at the moment column F is for one of the championships that I can
qualify for points in but it would be helpfull if this could say ANWCC
instead.

As you can imagine with Col A being a list of dates as you scroll down it
can be hard work remembering what Col is for what info

Iv done some playing and some reading on the web but sofar come up blank so
dont know if this is possible.

All the best and thank you for taking the time to read this
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why not just use row 1 for the names? You can then add coments (right click)
so you can have the detail about the what the means. They can also be range
names to take totals forward to summary sheets.

"PAUL~H~UK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No you can't change the Letters to Names.

Use row 1 and enter your titles/names.

ToolsOptionsView. Uncheck Row and Column Headers

Select A2 and WindowFreeze Panes so that the titles will remain in view as you
scroll down.

You could color row 1 gray to look like the column headers if you desire.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:42:02 -0700, PAUL~H~UK
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , Gord Dibben
<gorddibbATshawDOTca spake thusly:

No you can't change the Letters to Names.

Use row 1 and enter your titles/names.

ToolsOptionsView. Uncheck Row and Column Headers

Select A2 and WindowFreeze Panes so that the titles will remain
in view as you scroll down.

You could color row 1 gray to look like the column headers if you
desire.

That is of course good advice, Gord.

I'd add for the OP, though, that one can also define names and use
those as references in formulas.

For example, I just created a small test sheet with columns A-F and
a few lines of data. Going to Insert - Name - Define, I gave a
name of ANWCC and set that to F1:F3.

Now, I made an example formula at the bottom as follows:

=SUBTOTAL(9,ANWCC)

and that works fine.

-dman-

=======================
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:42:02 -0700, PAUL~H~UK
wrote:

[snip]

What I want to know is it possilbe to rename the columns from A
B C D etc so that I can name them to represent the relevent info
for the column for example at the moment column F is for one of
the championships that I can qualify for points in but it would
be helpfull if this could say ANWCC instead.

[snip]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , Gord Dibben
<gorddibbATshawDOTca spake thusly:

And how will that help OP to see which column he's in when
scrolling down the sheet?

It doesn't. That's why I said your advice was excellent.
I was merely adding something that seemed to address his
question. I've already granted that your suggestions are
a better or more comprehensive overall approach.

-dman-

==========================

================================================= ===============

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:42:02 -0700, PAUL~H~UK
wrote:

[snip]

What I want to know is it possilbe to rename the columns from
A B C D etc so that I can name them to represent the relevent
info for the column for example at the moment column F is for
one of the championships that I can qualify for points in but
it would be helpfull if this could say ANWCC instead.

[snip]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , Dallman Ross <dman@localhost.
spake thusly:

In , Gord Dibben
<gorddibbATshawDOTca spake thusly:

And how will that help OP to see which column he's in when
scrolling down the sheet?

It doesn't. That's why I said your advice was excellent.
I was merely adding something that seemed to address his
question. I've already granted that your suggestions are
a better or more comprehensive overall approach.

I need to follow up on myself for clarification, since I
left out the main thought I had when I offered the OP
the named-range thought.

I don't know about you, but when I'm looking at carefully
scrounged-for totals in Excel, my active cell is the one with
the total in it. Then I look up at the formula bar and see
the formula. Since the OP said he's going without a header
row anyway, it seemed to me that he must be doing the same.
If the named range is prominent in the formula bar, he's
going to see it.

That's all! That's what I had in mind. (You did as how it
could help him.)

Take care,
Dallman
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Apologies.

Mistakenly thought your post was an alternate approach.

Re-reading proves me too hasty(again)

Gord

<dman@localhost. wrote:

[...]

[snip]