Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dallman Ross Dallman Ross is offline

Default column nameing

In , Gord Dibben
<gorddibbATshawDOTca spake thusly:

No you can't change the Letters to Names.

Use row 1 and enter your titles/names.

ToolsOptionsView. Uncheck Row and Column Headers

Select A2 and WindowFreeze Panes so that the titles will remain
in view as you scroll down.

You could color row 1 gray to look like the column headers if you
desire.

That is of course good advice, Gord.

I'd add for the OP, though, that one can also define names and use
those as references in formulas.

For example, I just created a small test sheet with columns A-F and
a few lines of data. Going to Insert - Name - Define, I gave a
name of ANWCC and set that to F1:F3.

Now, I made an example formula at the bottom as follows:

=SUBTOTAL(9,ANWCC)

and that works fine.

-dman-

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:42:02 -0700, PAUL~H~UK
wrote:

[snip]

What I want to know is it possilbe to rename the columns from A
B C D etc so that I can name them to represent the relevent info
for the column for example at the moment column F is for one of
the championships that I can qualify for points in but it would
be helpfull if this could say ANWCC instead.

[snip]