Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default To Many Formats ERROR

I saved a large presentation last night. This mornnig when I try to open it,
it looks as though it begins to open but I get a error message that pops up
that says:
"Too Many Different Formats." Has any one seen thais and is there a
solution to getting the file to open?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That error occurs when the workbook contains more than approximately
4,000 different combinations of cell formats. For more information,
consult Microsoft Knowledge Base article 213904, currently located at

As I recall the MS site talks about a solution, but basically it comes
down to reducing the amount of formatting in your worksheet. This would
mean a reduction to shading, fonts, font sizes, font colors, borders,
number formats, etc etc etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could also do a Google search in the Excel groups for Too Many Cell
Formats and it will show hundreds of hits - you might get some further
workarounds from them.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Adam wrote:
I saved a large presentation last night. This mornnig when I try to open it,
it looks as though it begins to open but I get a error message that pops up
that says:
"Too Many Different Formats." Has any one seen thais and is there a
solution to getting the file to open?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave, Thanks for the response. I realize at this point I need to reduce
the number of Formats. My question really is, how do I get the workbook to
open so I can reduce them?

I'll check the solutions sight though.

"Dave O" wrote:

That error occurs when the workbook contains more than approximately
4,000 different combinations of cell formats. For more information,
consult Microsoft Knowledge Base article 213904, currently located at

As I recall the MS site talks about a solution, but basically it comes
down to reducing the amount of formatting in your worksheet. This would
mean a reduction to shading, fonts, font sizes, font colors, borders,
number formats, etc etc etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yikes- I've never seen that. The file would always open whenever I
encountered the error.

This is a link to a Google newsgroup site that discussed repair of
corrupted files. Good luck with it! If you are successful (I hope you
are) please post back with your workaround so everyone will benefit.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro... df8041348867a

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A few people have said that OpenOffice.Org has been able to open the file. Then
they clean it up and save it there. Then excel can open that cleaned up
version.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-104 meg download or a CD

--

Dave Peterson