Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Augabog

Default How to obtain both std dev and std error mean in each y error bar

I am making column charts in Excel. Does anyone know if it is possible
in Excel to setup the y error bar for each series so that it provides
multiple values? I would like dash marks, one for the std deviation and
one for std error mean, on the same vertical line. I've seen it done
elsewhere, and would be suprised if Excel doesn't have this feature,
but can't seem to find it.

Also, when I calculate the std error mean or the std deviation in
Excel, the returned value equals the size of the error in one direction
(ex. positive or negative) right? So if I use this value for a y error
bar, I should put it in twice, once in the positive box and once in the
negative box, which graphically doubles the total size of my error. Is
this correct, or is the value itself already accounting for error in
both directions, so that I should halve the value before putting it in
each box?

Thanks for your help,

Kerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barb Reinhardt

You could plot two identical series and use the standard deviation for one
error bar and standard error mean for the other error bar. Just change the
points for one of them so that they aren't displayed.

"Augabog" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Augabog

What do you mean by "change the points for one of them so that they
aren't displayed."? I plotted two identical series in the same graph,
and then added a different error bar on each.This creates two equally
sized column adjacent to each other. What points do I change to make
the two y error bars be displayed on only one of these identical
columns? If it is possible, it would be best if they completely
overlap.

Thanks again,

Kerry