Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Relative Macro Assignments in Custom Menus

Hi,

I am trying to import some menus and the corresponding macros assigned
to them from one machine to another. As so, I am over-writing my
PERSONAL.xls file (that is where my macros are stored) and also
over-writing my Excel11.xlb menu file.

The menus pop on the new machine but upon trying to run my macros, I
get a failure. Under the menu buttons, Excel looks for the macros in:

C:\Documents and Settings\"username1"\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\PERSONAL.xls

However, on the new machine the location of PERSONAL.xls changes since
there is a different user, "username2". Is there a way to assign a
relative location for the macros? I want Excel to look for the macros
in "PERSONAL.xls" regardless of the user. Thanks

Ivo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, if you're going to share this workbook with others, you'll want to stay
away from the name personal.xls. Since excel can only have one workbook with
that name open at any time, the user will have to make a choice to keep yours or
keep their own.

Your life will become much simpler if you include code to create the toolbar
when the workbook is opened and include code to destroy the toolbar when the
workbook is closed.

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

--

Dave Peterson