Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Always enter number as a decimal <1

I want to be able to enter an integer into a cell and have it
automatically displayed and perceived by excel as a decimal less than
1.

In other words, if I enter "456" into the cell, I want it to display as
".456" all the time. I would further like this formatting to apply to
any number entered in that cell, regardless of how many sig figs there
are, AND I only want it to apply to one cell or a specific range, so
the Tools--Options--Edit--Fixed Decimal Places setting won't help
me.

If possible, I'd like to do this without a macro so it can be used with
Pocket Excel.

Thanks to all.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

You've taken away all the easy options <g. The only other thing I can
think of is to use a helper cell to type the number in and put this formula
in the cell where you want the desired display..........

=A1/10^LEN(REPT(0,LEN(A1)))-INT(A1/10^LEN(REPT(0,LEN(A1))))

Then to omit the leading zero from the display that Excel normally puts on
decimal numbers you would have to format it Custom as
..################

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"michaelberrier" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to be able to enter an integer into a cell and have it
automatically displayed and perceived by excel as a decimal less than
1.

In other words, if I enter "456" into the cell, I want it to display as
".456" all the time. I would further like this formatting to apply to
any number entered in that cell, regardless of how many sig figs there
are, AND I only want it to apply to one cell or a specific range, so
the Tools--Options--Edit--Fixed Decimal Places setting won't help
me.

If possible, I'd like to do this without a macro so it can be used with
Pocket Excel.

Thanks to all.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Sorry,........sent the wrong formula.........here's the actual finished
one.........

=A1/10^LEN(REPT(0,LEN(A1)))

also must be formatted Custom as .################

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"CLR" wrote in message
You've taken away all the easy options <g. The only other thing I can
think of is to use a helper cell to type the number in and put this

formula
in the cell where you want the desired display..........

=A1/10^LEN(REPT(0,LEN(A1)))-INT(A1/10^LEN(REPT(0,LEN(A1))))

Then to omit the leading zero from the display that Excel normally puts on
decimal numbers you would have to format it Custom as
.################

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Chuck,

=A1/10^LEN(A1) is just as good, unless I'm missing something.

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Hi Ken..........

Yup, I kinda-sorta backed into my formula........but the good news is, both
work.
Thanks for the enlightenment tho.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Ken Johnson" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Chuck,

=A1/10^LEN(A1) is just as good, unless I'm missing something.

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chuck/Ken;

Thanks for the help, guys. However, either of those formulas limit me
to 3 sig figs after the zero, and I would like to have more. What can
I adjust in the simpler formula:
=A1/10^LEN(A1)

To allow for, say, 5? Is that possible?

Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Having said that, I just realized that this is a simple math formula
that needs to be divided by a different factor of ten based on how many
digits I want to use...duh.

So...I guess there isn't a solution that will allow the number of
digits to be variable?

Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

The combination of the formula and the formatting takes care of
that.........
Either formula will display 1 or up to 15 digits after the decimal point.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"michaelberrier" wrote in message
ups.com...

Having said that, I just realized that this is a simple math formula
that needs to be divided by a different factor of ten based on how many
digits I want to use...duh.

So...I guess there isn't a solution that will allow the number of
digits to be variable?

Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The solution provided allows for a variable number of digits

12==0.12
1234=0.1234
1234567=0.1234567

You can leave cell formatted as general but make wide enough to take largets
number

"michaelberrier" wrote:

Having said that, I just realized that this is a simple math formula
that needs to be divided by a different factor of ten based on how many
digits I want to use...duh.

So...I guess there isn't a solution that will allow the number of
digits to be variable?

Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I must be typing something wrong in the formula then (I cut and pasted,
though) because if I enter "12", I get .012, if I enter "12345" I get
123.45.

I copied the formulas exactly as you put them in your post(s), so where
do you think I'm going wrong?

"michaelberrier" wrote:

Having said that, I just realized that this is a simple math formula
that needs to be divided by a different factor of ten based on how many
digits I want to use...duh.

So...I guess there isn't a solution that will allow the number of
digits to be variable?

Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for all the help. 100% user-error. I've got it fixed now.

Thanks again.