Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Selective Autofilter Application

When I apply the autofilter funtion, it does so accross all existing columns
of my worksheet. Is it possible to apply this functionality to only a few
selected columns, and how do I go about it ?

Kind regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi JR,

I actually tried that before the post, but it didn't work for some reason.
When selecting the 2nd column, it simply undoes the first. Also, selecting a
few via Ctrl, also won't allow you. What do you think is potting ? I run
Excel 2002.

"Maurice" wrote:

When I apply the autofilter funtion, it does so accross all existing columns
of my worksheet. Is it possible to apply this functionality to only a few
selected columns, and how do I go about it ?

Kind regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Fred,

As per my reply to JR, your suggestion does not work either. That's what I
find so strange. Would have thougt this to be rather "elementary" stuff ?

"Maurice" wrote in message
When I apply the autofilter funtion, it does so accross all existing columns
of my worksheet. Is it possible to apply this functionality to only a few
selected columns, and how do I go about it ?

Kind regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can apply an AutoFilter to the entire table, then hide some arrows
with programming. For example, the following code leaves arrows visible
only on columns 2, 3 and 7.

'======================
Sub HideSomeArrows()
'hide some autofilter arrows
Dim c As Range
Dim i As Integer
i = Cells(1, 1).End(xlToRight).Column
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each c In Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, i))
Select Case c.Column
Case 2, 3, 7
c.AutoFilter Field:=c.Column, _
Visibledropdown:=True
Case Else
c.AutoFilter Field:=c.Column, _
Visibledropdown:=False
End Select
Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
'====================

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Debra,

Finally, some advice that actually works !. Thank you ever so kindly, it is
much apreciated. In the absense of any easier method, I will simply continue
to use the macro you provided.

PS. I still haven't been able to determine why the other advise given, did
not work. This seems such a simple function, or perhaps not ? Is there
something wrong my end, or is it a case that MS Excel simply do not possess
the required functionality. Surely I can't be the first person to have this
particular need.

Anyway, many thanks again for resolving my problem. Wish there was a
resource where I could learn more about writing a macro.

Kind regards
Maurice

Maurice wrote:
When I apply the autofilter funtion, it does so accross all existing columns
of my worksheet. Is it possible to apply this functionality to only a few
selected columns, and how do I go about it ?

Kind regards

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome, and thanks for letting me know that it worked for you.

The other suggestions should work for adjacent columns, but not for
non-adjacent columns.

David McRitchie's site has an introduction to macros: