Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Drop down lists that reference another workbook

We have a need to create a drop down list that references data in another
workbook. We have found the help file that explains how to do this but, when
we get to the very last step a message box appears with the text "You may not
use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation
criteria". Now this is incorrect, because the same help file also explains
how to do it from antoher worksheet in the same work book and that works
fine. The help also explicitly says you can do it. Anyone know how to
correct this. I'm using Excel 2003 Basic Edition with SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Keith

Help also states that you must use a defined name when the source is on another
sheet or workbook.

Also other workbook must be open.

See the other post giving a link to Debra's site.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:07:02 -0700, Keith Jenkins <Keith
wrote:

We have a need to create a drop down list that references data in another
workbook. We have found the help file that explains how to do this but, when
we get to the very last step a message box appears with the text "You may not
use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation
criteria". Now this is incorrect, because the same help file also explains
how to do it from antoher worksheet in the same work book and that works
fine. The help also explicitly says you can do it. Anyone know how to
correct this. I'm using Excel 2003 Basic Edition with SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is it possible to do such thing without opening the file ?

I am talking about the function developed by some one - indirect.ext .

I need to do thiw without opening the file.

wrote:

We have a need to create a drop down list that references data in another
workbook. We have found the help file that explains how to do this but, when
we get to the very last step a message box appears with the text "You may not
use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation
criteria". Now this is incorrect, because the same help file also explains
how to do it from antoher worksheet in the same work book and that works
fine. The help also explicitly says you can do it. Anyone know how to
correct this. I'm using Excel 2003 Basic Edition with SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

INDIRECT.EXT is a function form Laurent Longre's Morefunc Add-in and should work
with a closed workbook.

Do you have the add-in installed and loaded?

Post the DV formula you are using.

Gord