Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Keith Jenkins Keith Jenkins is offline

Default Drop down lists that reference another workbook

We have a need to create a drop down list that references data in another
workbook. We have found the help file that explains how to do this but, when
we get to the very last step a message box appears with the text "You may not
use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation
criteria". Now this is incorrect, because the same help file also explains
how to do it from antoher worksheet in the same work book and that works
fine. The help also explicitly says you can do it. Anyone know how to
correct this. I'm using Excel 2003 Basic Edition with SP2