Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Taking infomation in one sheet and adding it to another sheet

I have two sheets. First sheets has the heading Homeroom and then the
teachers name next too it assigning one homeroom to that teacher. In my next
sheet I have homerooms and teacher again but this time I have the same
homeroom mulitple times. Another words Sheet 1 would have John Doe Homeroom
217 Jane Doe Homeroom 312. In second sheet I have about tweleve 312 homeroom
and eight 217 homeroom. I want to be able to match homeroom 312 in sheet two
with the name of the teacher from sheet 1 that is assoicate with that
homeroom.

Sheet One Sheet Two
Homeroom Teacher Homeroom Teacher
217 Jane Doe 217 How
do I do it here?
312 John Doe 217
217
217
312
312
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use the VLOOKUP function. Here is and example: =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A1:B3,2,0)
The formula would go in the first cell of sheet2. You can then copy the
formula down. For the formula to work, the data (sheet1)must be sorted in
Ascending order. Also, don't forget to make the range absolute.

"BigBadBess24" wrote:

I have two sheets. First sheets has the heading Homeroom and then the
teachers name next too it assigning one homeroom to that teacher. In my next
sheet I have homerooms and teacher again but this time I have the same
homeroom mulitple times. Another words Sheet 1 would have John Doe Homeroom
217 Jane Doe Homeroom 312. In second sheet I have about tweleve 312 homeroom
and eight 217 homeroom. I want to be able to match homeroom 312 in sheet two
with the name of the teacher from sheet 1 that is assoicate with that
homeroom.

Sheet One Sheet Two
Homeroom Teacher Homeroom Teacher
217 Jane Doe 217 =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!:B3,2,0)
312 John Doe 217
217
217
312