Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using someone else's files

Hi

One of my work colleagues has created an Excel spreadsheet that pulls date
from another Excel file and use it in a chart. The files store production
deata for his shift

He keeps both files on his desktop

I asked him to email these files to me so that I can use them for my shift
too. He did this and I stored them on my desktop (which is on a separate
PC)

When I try to alter the cell references, it won't let me because it says the
path is incorrect

The 'old' cell reference is:

=SERIES('C:\Documents and Settings\daviesp\Desktop\[EFFICIENCY aug
2006.xls]SEPT'!$A$4,'C:\Documents and Settings\daviesp\Desktop\[EFFICIENCY
aug 2006.xls]SEPT'!$B$3:$P$3,'C:\Documents and
Settings\daviesp\Desktop\[EFFICIENCY aug 2006.xls]SEPT'!$B$4:$P$4,1)

The new reference is:

=SERIES('C:\Documents and Settings\williamsp\Desktop\[EFFICIENCY aug
2006.xls]SEPT'!$A$4,'C:\Documents and Settings\williamsp\Desktop\[EFFICIENCY
aug 2006.xls]SEPT'!$B$3:$P$3,'C:\Documents and
Settings\williamsp\Desktop\[EFFICIENCY aug 2006.xls]SEPT'!$B$4:$P$4,1)

All I've done is changed daviesp to williamsp to reflect the fact that our
names are different

The location C:\Documents and Settings\williamsp\Desktop\EFFICIENCY aug
2006.xls definitrly exists

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try opening your file, and then click EDIT on the menu and select LINKS.
There will be a list of linked file and you can change the location of each
file by clicking on the filename in the file source panel and then the CHANGE
SOURCE command button and locate the file manually. This will update all
linked formulas as well.
--
Kevin Backmann