Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Trying to unhide A-K

A co-worker of mine asked me how to unhide the A-K in his worksheet. I tried
the control ga1unhide. Wouldn't work. So I went back to my desk to play
around with the functions to see if I could figure it out. I created a dummy
document and the above worked. So then I told him to email the document to
me so I could try it there. It worked again. But it will not work on his.
Could there be something in the options or what. I haven't been able to find
anything anywhere regarding this.
--
Stacy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about:
ctrl-g
A1:K1
format|columns|Unhide

If that doesn't work, maybe it's not a hidden problem. Maybe the window is
frozen and you can't scroll to the left.

Window|Unfreeze Panes
to test.

srdowning wrote:

A co-worker of mine asked me how to unhide the A-K in his worksheet. I tried
the control ga1unhide. Wouldn't work. So I went back to my desk to play
around with the functions to see if I could figure it out. I created a dummy
document and the above worked. So then I told him to email the document to
me so I could try it there. It worked again. But it will not work on his.
Could there be something in the options or what. I haven't been able to find
anything anywhere regarding this.
--
Stacy

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 6 September 2006 In , Dave
Peterson spake thusly (top-posting
undone here, however):

srdowning wrote:

A co-worker of mine asked me how to unhide the A-K in his worksheet.
I tried the control ga1unhide. Wouldn't work. [. . .]

How about:
ctrl-g
A1:K1
format|columns|Unhide

If that doesn't work, maybe it's not a hidden problem. Maybe the
window is frozen and you can't scroll to the left.

Thank you. This tip just helped me, as well. Rather than ask the
question anew, I searched this group for Subjects with "unhide"
and found this right away. I had been trying for quite a part
of an hour using Go-To and every trick I knew to unhide a
recalcitrant "hidden" Column A -- which tricks included deleting,
inserting, moving, etc., the "hidden" column to no avail. It was,
indeed, a frozen column that I hadn't noticed. I was sure it was
an Excel bug!

Dallman Ross
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Glad google helped.

And in the MS newsgroups, top posting is pretty much the rule. Bottom posting
is the exception. Well, in the *excel* newsgroups anyway.

srdowning wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, Dave!
You wrote on Thu, 05 Oct 2006 08:16:19 -0500:

DP And in the MS newsgroups, top posting is pretty much the
DP rule. Bottom posting is the exception. Well, in the
DP *excel* newsgroups anyway.

I won't believe this assertion without statistics and I won't
stop replying properly, IMHO :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , Dave Peterson
spake thusly:

Glad google helped.

I like Google, but I didn't use Google to search. I used my Unix-
platform, text-based newsreader, tin. :-)

And in the MS newsgroups, top posting is pretty much the rule.
Bottom posting is the exception. Well, in the *excel* newsgroups
anyway.

I know. But a purist's habits die hard. I hate top-posting
with a passion, but read this group anyway because of great
people like you. But Microsoft is to a large extent responsible
for the execrable top-posting phenomenon we have today . . . :-)

(I'll Note, however, that I bought 30 shares of an arguably
unremarkable start-up high-tech company's stock in 1986 on a flyer.
I still own that stock; you may have heard of the company. Its
symbol is MSFT. In other words, Not to worry, I owe more than a
little to Microsoft.)

Oh, and I'll have to allow myself one tiny dig here, perhaps best
passed on via the following URL (which I have nothing to do with
except that I enjoy its message). Please pay particular attention
to the last bullet-paragraph of the last part of the last section,
Section 2.4; i.e., the end of the page (which section is also
hyperlinked from the top.) Yes, I know a newsgroup isn't a mailing
list; the logic and etiquette for communicating are similar,
though.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M16F51D39

Thanks,
Dallman Ross
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , James Silverton
spake thusly:

Hello, Dave!
You wrote on Thu, 05 Oct 2006 08:16:19 -0500:

DP And in the MS newsgroups, top posting is pretty much the
DP rule. Bottom posting is the exception. Well, in the
DP *excel* newsgroups anyway.

I won't believe this assertion without statistics and I won't
stop replying properly, IMHO :-)

The real problem is, the GUI tools for posting are inferior
and don't make it easy to do it right. Do see the URL I
just gave in my companion follow-up in this thread. :-)

Dallman Ross
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't have statistics for this, but I bet if you took a random sample of the
1000's of daily posts in the *excel* newsgroups, you'd find the overwhelming
majority are top posted.

(I didn't mean to restart a religious war, but personally, I like reading top
posted messages. I don't need to read/scroll through the OP's quoted message in
each followup message. And yes, if messages were snipped, it would make it
clearer--but that doesn't happen very often around here, either. And no, I
don't have stats on that statement, either!)

James Silverton wrote:

Hello, Dave!
You wrote on Thu, 05 Oct 2006 08:16:19 -0500:

DP And in the MS newsgroups, top posting is pretty much the
DP rule. Bottom posting is the exception. Well, in the
DP *excel* newsgroups anyway.

I won't believe this assertion without statistics and I won't
stop replying properly, IMHO :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Top posted on purpose <bg:

I don't know how long your reader keeps old messages, but you may want to
bookmark/add to favorites this google link:

http://groups.google.co.uk/advanced_...=group:*excel*

And here's an unofficial set of tips for new posters (from Chip Pearson's site):
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

Tips #11 and #10 are relevant.

(Yes, in the MS Excel Newsgroups, most regulars break the normal usenet rules.)

ps. I bought LU shares and had more of the "bottom posting" experience than
your "top posting" experience with MSFT shares <bg.

Dallman Ross wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , Dave Peterson
spake thusly:

Top posted on purpose <bg:

I don't know how long your reader keeps old messages, but you may
want to bookmark/add to favorites this google link:

http://groups.google.co.uk/advanced_...=group:*excel*

Thanks, Dave. Saved.

And here's an unofficial set of tips for new posters (from Chip
Pearson's site): http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

Tips #11 and #10 are relevant.

Merci.

(Yes, in the MS Excel Newsgroups, most regulars break the normal
usenet rules.)

ps. I bought LU shares and had more of the "bottom posting" experience than
your "top posting" experience with MSFT shares <bg.

;-

Dallman