Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I correct a custom format?

I've created a custom format to display a number as 1111 2222 3333 4444.
However when I enter in the 16 digits, the 16th turns to 0.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think that Excel only allows 15 digits, so the 16th you are entering will
be always 0, if you are using a number format.
One solution is format the cell as text, and then use a formula to add the
spaces, something like:
=LEFT(A1,4) & " " & MID(A1,5,4) & " " & MID(A1,9,4) & " " & RIGHT(A1,4)

It is not as neat as a custom format, but it may do the trick.

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

"Brent" wrote:

I've created a custom format to display a number as 1111 2222 3333 4444.
However when I enter in the 16 digits, the 16th turns to 0.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank Miguel,

The formula you gave me worked, however the 16th digit shows up again as a
zero.

Does anyone know any other way around this?

"Brent" wrote:

I've created a custom format to display a number as 1111 2222 3333 4444.
However when I enter in the 16 digits, the 16th turns to 0.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Brent,

Enter the number into cell A1 with a leading single quote mark, to make it a string.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP