szyzygy

Default Custom Cell Format Will Not Save Correctly

I am trying to format three Columns of a sheet with the Custom datatype, one
0000000, another 0000, and the third 00000000. Data from the spreadsheet
will be fed to a barcode label printer that needs to have the leading zeros.

In Excel 2003, surprisingly, I can use the 7 zero custom format and it works
fine, but when you try to format a column of cells to do 0000 or 00000000, it
will show the data correctly, but will not mark the column with that
format...when you go back to those cells, they show "Special" as the format.
I've fiddled and fiddled with no change. This is a real problem because in
exporting from this sheet, the leading zeros are not transmmitted unless the
the correct format is recorded. Any ideas?
Derek Y via OfficeKB.com

This is because a german social security number is in that exact same format.
Its like typing in a custom format of 000-00-0000. If you do that it will
assume you meant a united states social security number format, etc etc.

szyzygy wrote:
I am trying to format three Columns of a sheet with the Custom datatype, one
0000000, another 0000, and the third 00000000. Data from the spreadsheet
will be fed to a barcode label printer that needs to have the leading zeros.

In Excel 2003, surprisingly, I can use the 7 zero custom format and it works
fine, but when you try to format a column of cells to do 0000 or 00000000, it
will show the data correctly, but will not mark the column with that
format...when you go back to those cells, they show "Special" as the format.
I've fiddled and fiddled with no change. This is a real problem because in
exporting from this sheet, the leading zeros are not transmmitted unless the
the correct format is recorded. Any ideas?

Derek Y via OfficeKB.com

Oh and as far as the 0000 go, thats a portuguese postal format. Again excel
already found your custom format as part of its special formats so it says
hey, we already have this so we're going to use what we call it since its not
really custom. I still dont see why this is a problem though. It would help
if you would tell me in what format you are exporting your data in that its
keeping your custom formatting.

Thanks,

Derek

Derek Y wrote:
This is because a german social security number is in that exact same format.
Its like typing in a custom format of 000-00-0000. If you do that it will
assume you meant a united states social security number format, etc etc.

I am trying to format three Columns of a sheet with the Custom datatype, one
0000000, another 0000, and the third 00000000. Data from the spreadsheet

[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
exporting from this sheet, the leading zeros are not transmmitted unless the
the correct format is recorded. Any ideas?

Derek Y via OfficeKB.com

OHHH i just came up with a great idea, but I can't try it myself. Go into
add/remove programs and look at the options selected for the excel
installation and go deep into the root and see if somehow you can remove all
the international junk there. If you can do that then you've got what you
wanted....Still i dont see what the real problem here is though, excel is
showing the format the way you want with the leading zero's...I guess i've
just never heard of anything, other than opening a file in dde, that will
keep excel formatting.

Derek Y wrote:
Oh and as far as the 0000 go, thats a portuguese postal format. Again excel
already found your custom format as part of its special formats so it says
hey, we already have this so we're going to use what we call it since its not
really custom. I still dont see why this is a problem though. It would help
if you would tell me in what format you are exporting your data in that its
keeping your custom formatting.

Thanks,

Derek

This is because a german social security number is in that exact same format.
Its like typing in a custom format of 000-00-0000. If you do that it will

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]