Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Averaging with a formula

OK, here's a quick easy question. I'm recording the number of times an
event occurs in column D. In column E, I'm recording the total of times
this event has occurred so far. In column F, I want the average at the
end of the day. By this I mean, if by day 3 the even has occurred a
total of 9 times at 3 times a day, I want F4 to equal 3. If on day 4 it
happens 4 times, I want F5 to equal 3.25 and F4 to remain at 3 for
reference. Am I making any sense?

Thanks!

--
scubab
scubab's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37778

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi!

If you have the cumulative total is column E, starting in E2, for the
cumulative average, entered in F2:

=IF(E2="","",E2/ROWS($1:1))

Or, just use the AVERAGE function on the daily occurance entries in column
D:

=IF(D2="","",AVERAGE(D$2:D2))

If you will have 1000's of rows of data to include in the calculation you
will want to avoid using the AVERAGE function.

Biff

"scubab" wrote in
message ...

OK, here's a quick easy question. I'm recording the number of times an
event occurs in column D. In column E, I'm recording the total of times
this event has occurred so far. In column F, I want the average at the
end of the day. By this I mean, if by day 3 the even has occurred a
total of 9 times at 3 times a day, I want F4 to equal 3. If on day 4 it
happens 4 times, I want F5 to equal 3.25 and F4 to remain at 3 for
reference. Am I making any sense?

Thanks!

--
scubab
scubab's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=574040

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Great! But, is there anyway to simplify the avg? Maybe to only two
decimals? 3.33 instead of 3.3333333

--
scubab
scubab's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37778
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=574040

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=IF(E2="","",ROUND(E2/ROWS($1:1),2))

Or

=IF(D2="","",ROUND(AVERAGE(D$2:D2),2))

Biff

"scubab" wrote in
message ...

Great! But, is there anyway to simplify the avg? Maybe to only two
decimals? 3.33 instead of 3.3333333

--
scubab
scubab's Profile: