JC

Default Books on writing Macros

I have a sorting problem in Excel 2003 that requires a macro. This is related
to my earlier messages about "Sorting Problem".

I can't create a macro by recording the steps since it requires sorting based on
numbers in 4 helper columns so it looks like I will have to write a macro to
create the helper column cell data from data in another column and then run the
sort.

I've written programs in Fortran and QuickBasic before. What I need is a text
that goes through the processes and command syntax of the macro language.

Can you recommend a good text on writing macros?

--

Cheers . . . JC
Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

JC wrote:
I have a sorting problem in Excel 2003 that requires a macro. This is related
to my earlier messages about "Sorting Problem".

I can't create a macro by recording the steps since it requires sorting based on
numbers in 4 helper columns so it looks like I will have to write a macro to
create the helper column cell data from data in another column and then run the
sort.

I've written programs in Fortran and QuickBasic before. What I need is a text
that goes through the processes and command syntax of the macro language.

Can you recommend a good text on writing macros?

Once you've broken the IP addresses into the four helper columns, then
SORT does what you want. You tell it to sort on the 4th column of
numbers first, then the 3rd, then the 2nd and then finally the first.

My Excel97 lets you do three sorts at a time, in an order you specify so
you need to do column 4, 3, 2 and then redo the sort on column 1. I
don't know if the newer versions of Excel will do 4 sorts or whether
they're also limited to 3 at a time.

Good luck...

Bill