Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default random date when i didn't ask for it! driving me CRAZY!

hello people, i am in the midst of thesis writing and am having a stupidly
stupid problem, that probably is simple to fix, but i have no idea how! never
really used excel, not a fan to be honest, numbers are not my thing! but all
i want to do is type 3-4 in one cell, 5-6 in the next, then 7-8 and so
on....yet EVERY time i do it, it automatically changes to a date??! i have
tried looking in autocorrect, nothing seems to indicate anywhere where i cant
stop this ridiculously annoying thing. i'm going mad right now, its 4.11 am,
my deadline is looming in a few days, and all i want to do is type 4-5 in a
cell!!!! help pleease!!!
thanks! :op
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try this:
go to format--select cell--on the number tab select text

good luck with you thesis.

"pink" wrote:

hello people, i am in the midst of thesis writing and am having a stupidly
stupid problem, that probably is simple to fix, but i have no idea how! never
really used excel, not a fan to be honest, numbers are not my thing! but all
i want to do is type 3-4 in one cell, 5-6 in the next, then 7-8 and so
on....yet EVERY time i do it, it automatically changes to a date??! i have
tried looking in autocorrect, nothing seems to indicate anywhere where i cant
stop this ridiculously annoying thing. i'm going mad right now, its 4.11 am,
my deadline is looming in a few days, and all i want to do is type 4-5 in a
cell!!!! help pleease!!!
thanks! :op

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You should write your thesis on how software designers, in their attempts to
be "helpful", really drive people crazy and are no help at all. Site Excel
as an example! We don't need no stinkin help! <g

Biff

"pink" wrote in message
hello people, i am in the midst of thesis writing and am having a stupidly
stupid problem, that probably is simple to fix, but i have no idea how!
never
really used excel, not a fan to be honest, numbers are not my thing! but
all
i want to do is type 3-4 in one cell, 5-6 in the next, then 7-8 and so
on....yet EVERY time i do it, it automatically changes to a date??! i have
tried looking in autocorrect, nothing seems to indicate anywhere where i
cant
stop this ridiculously annoying thing. i'm going mad right now, its 4.11
am,
my deadline is looming in a few days, and all i want to do is type 4-5 in
cell!!!! help pleease!!!
thanks! :op

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi people,
Biff - spot on.
Nikki- thank you soooo much it worked! U'r a star.
:D

"pink" wrote:

hello people, i am in the midst of thesis writing and am having a stupidly
stupid problem, that probably is simple to fix, but i have no idea how! never
really used excel, not a fan to be honest, numbers are not my thing! but all
i want to do is type 3-4 in one cell, 5-6 in the next, then 7-8 and so
on....yet EVERY time i do it, it automatically changes to a date??! i have
tried looking in autocorrect, nothing seems to indicate anywhere where i cant
stop this ridiculously annoying thing. i'm going mad right now, its 4.11 am,
my deadline is looming in a few days, and all i want to do is type 4-5 in a
cell!!!! help pleease!!!
thanks! :op

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I didn't see this posted so doing it again.
Just put a ' (under the quote key) and whatever you type will be treated
like text.
Good luck!