Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Inability to create remote reference

Hello,

When I try to create a remote reference by typing "=" in the formula
bar followed by clicking the precedent cell in an open workbook, the
path is not inserted into the formula bar. Instead, the open workbook
window, to which I am trying to make the reference, is activated.

Meanwhile, if I activate the starting workbook, my "=" sign remains in
the formula bar as excel awaits my formula.

What could be causing this?

Ed

Excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Edward wrote:
Hello,

When I try to create a remote reference by typing "=" in the formula
bar followed by clicking the precedent cell in an open workbook, the
path is not inserted into the formula bar. Instead, the open workbook
window, to which I am trying to make the reference, is activated.

Meanwhile, if I activate the starting workbook, my "=" sign remains in
the formula bar as excel awaits my formula.

What could be causing this?

Ed

Excel 2003

Hi Ed,

this is by design. The path will appear only if the workbook connected is
closed, but while it is opened you will see in the formula bar just the name
of the workbook, the sheet name and the cell you selected.

--
(I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy