Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Avoiding Duplicates

I would like to apply Data Validation to entries in a cell to prevent
duplicates, but I need the facility to enter a "valid duplicate" eg When
entering a surname that has been used before a warning is returned but this
can be ignored if entry is valid.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

say your area is A1 to C20. Select it go to Data Validation and enter.

=COUNTIF($A$1:$C$20,A1)=1

VBA Noob

--
VBA Noob
VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33833

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use a formula of

=COUNTIF($A$2:$A$209,A2)1

where A2 is the DV cell, and on the Error Alerttab of DV, set the error
style type to Warning

--

HTH

Bob Phillips