Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
sramsey

Default flagging duplicates within same column of data

Hello and thanks in advance for any response. I am a little rusty with my
excel skills and was wondering if anyone could tell me a quick way to flag
duplicates in the same column of data. I have 4 columns of data and need to
flag say any duplicates within column C. I tried an advanced filter with
checking the unique records only box but wasn't sure what to put in the list
range or criteria range and ended up omitting records in columns A and C
also. I REALLY need some refreshers...
--
sramsey
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron de Bruin

Hi sramsey

See
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm
http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sramsey" wrote in message ...
Hello and thanks in advance for any response. I am a little rusty with my
excel skills and was wondering if anyone could tell me a quick way to flag
duplicates in the same column of data. I have 4 columns of data and need to
flag say any duplicates within column C. I tried an advanced filter with
checking the unique records only box but wasn't sure what to put in the list
range or criteria range and ended up omitting records in columns A and C
also. I REALLY need some refreshers...
--
sramsey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
sramsey

Thanks so much for your help...question, I was able to get 2 of the steps to
work; the testing for duplicate entries and tagging of duplicate entries, (I
was playing around testing them all) but couldn't get the (what appears to
be) the most simple one to work; the highlighting duplicate entries...I have
3 columns of data A1:A4823, B1:B4823, and C1:4589 and I just at this point
want to highlight any duplicates just within column C...I followed the
formula for the conditional formatting but no luck =IF(COUNTIF($C:$C,
C2)1,TRUE,FALSE) I'm sure it's something simple. Thank you!
--
sramsey

"sramsey" wrote in message ...
Hello and thanks in advance for any response. I am a little rusty with my
excel skills and was wondering if anyone could tell me a quick way to flag
duplicates in the same column of data. I have 4 columns of data and need to
flag say any duplicates within column C. I tried an advanced filter with
checking the unique records only box but wasn't sure what to put in the list
range or criteria range and ended up omitting records in columns A and C
also. I REALLY need some refreshers...
--
sramsey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

"sramsey" wrote
.. want to highlight any duplicates just within column C

....I followed the formula for the conditional formatting
but no luck =IF(COUNTIF($C:$C, C2)1,TRUE,FALSE) ..

Select col C,
then use as the Condition 1,
Formula is: =COUNTIF($C$1:C1,C1)1
Format to taste and ok out

The above will trigger the cond format in col C's cells
containing duplicates (i.e. 2nd instances, 3rd instances, etc)

Alternatively, we could also flag duplicates in col C
in an adjacent empty col D (say) by putting in D1:
=IF(C1="","",IF(COUNTIF($C$1:C1,C1)1,"Dup",""))
then just copy D1 down as far as required

Col D will return "Dup" for duplicates found in col C
(Can then use autofilter* on col D to filter out "Dup")
*via: Data Filter Autofilter, with a new top row added
--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

[...]