Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Send To size--just need an explanation

Hi,
Why are worksheets sent to Outlook so large? I don't mean size in
MegaBytes, but huge in actual dimentions. It forwards larger than the
page itself. Why is that?

Thanks
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you look at the file size in windows explorer, is there a significant
difference from what you see in Outlook.

I would expect that the outlook attachment would be about 30% larger. Your
email program will encode the attachment--you may have seen stuff that looks
like this:

UEsDBBQACAAIAEuSejQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASABAAQldUb29sYm FyIE1WUDIucHBhVVgMAJwi
J0Q+ISdE9QEUAO19C3hTx5Xw3IekK1m2JcuAQwBfzMM2wUayjZ FJCLb8wCSAneAASUmxbMtY
iZFUSQaTRxGEtCSlG/ImTVOcZ9ltGpyUZuk2Lc6jidttC33kX7dfujhpmyV/s6lJ04a2hPuf
edyHZNkYJ3+b7ubKx3c0c+acM+ecmTszmpl7/Jhz+OGnp7+OUq5LkYDOKlZkNsRxDMjlQICB
EA9wVlEUNVr55PqHuj4AwDa0AswDMAFgm1sAJIAMABuzsR3umQ BZANnUBZATIAdgLkAuwBSA
qQDTAPIALgCYDnAhwAyAmQCzAPIBZIDZAAUAcxiP+exeCPcigG KABQAXATQBlACUAiwCcAN4

when you look at the message source.

This adds about 30% (on average) to any binary attachment.

The email client for the recipient will decode it back to its original state.

If you're worried about attachment size, you may want to compress your file
first. I use WinZip, but there are lots of free Zip programs out there. Heck,
even WindowsXP can handle zip files.

--

Dave Peterson