Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel default number format problem

I have a user with an incorrect default cell format in Excel. His
default number of decimal places for a cell with numbers is set to 4
instead of 2. I have no idea how he caused this and I have no idea how
to correct it. In case I'm being ambiguous, here is the procedu
Open a new Excel workbook, choose any cell and go to Format. In the
Format Cell dialog box go to the Number tab and choose the Number
category. The Decimal Places box will be set to 2 by default but in
this user's Excel it is set to 4. How do I get it back to the default
of 2?
I have a screen shot on two different sites in case one doesn't work:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...mpsonexcel.jpg
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=439712

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem is that no matter what I do, I cannot get rid of that
custom 4 decimal place number. No matter how I set the decimal places,
it always goes back to that custom setting of 4. It is driving me
insane.

Toppers wrote:
Your screen shot show a CUSTOM (not Number) format with 4 decimal places so
if this is what is set, you will get the results you describe.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm curious,

if you open a new worksheet and go to tools-options then the edit tab.
the fixed decimal. Does that number say 4 or 2?

It should say 2.

Frank

--
fcastrofilippo
fcastrofilippo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36542

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I can't figure out how to crosslink so I have to cross post.

Dave Peterson wrote:
You have another guess in .excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually, you don't HAVE to multipost.

You could have posted to either newsgroup. The regulars read both newsgroups
(as well as other newsgroups).

Saved from a previous post...

If you're going to use the newsgroups for most anything, I've found it much
better to just connect directly to the MS newsservers.

If you have Outlook Express installed, try clicking on these links (or copy and
paste into MSIE).

(and a few more for MSWord)

(You can always connect to more later)

Here are some links that explain it better:

Chip Pearson has some notes written by Leonard Meads at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DirectConnect.htm

David McRitchie's notes at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6nws01.htm

Tushar Mehta's notes at:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tut...e_ng/index.htm

And if you're looking for old posts:

Or you can use google to search for stuff you've posted (and find the replies,
too)

http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...Excel*&num=100

Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

Dave Peterson wrote:
You have another guess in .excel.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Outlook won't work, but Outlook Express would.

If you're not blocked from connecting to the newsgroups directly, I'd use a News
Reader program like Outlook Express. (Some employers block this, so Google
Groups or some other web interface program serves a purpose.)

I use an old version of Netscape Communicator for my news reader--just because I
like it.

But Outlook Express works for lots of people.

If you use OE for a little time and find that you hate the interface, you can
search for free news readers--but I'd say stick with OE until you're
dissatisfied.

But remember that you can search for old posts using Google. That's very
useful.