Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I show all text in a cell?

I have copied (from an e-mail) and pasted a paragraph into a cell but not all
the text is showing (the cell has been formated to wrap text).

I have adjusted width/height, made sure the background was set to no fill,
all font is black and adjusted verticle & horizontal alignment. I even
unwrapped the text and merged a bunch a cells so that the text would show in
1 cell. This cut the text off as well but in a different spot. I have tried
all the obvious possible fixes but nothing has helped. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rachel

Merged cells do not hold any more text then any one original single cell.

Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow
32,767 characters to be entered in a cell.

However, it goes on to state that "only 1024 characters will be visible or can
be printed"

To work around this limitation, stick a few ALT + ENTERs in at appropriate
spots, about every 100 characters..

The ALT + ENTER forces a line-feed and expands the 1024 limit.

How far is not really known. Just experiment.

.........From Dave Peterson..........

I put this formula in A1:
="xxx"& REPT(REPT("asdf ",25)&CHAR(10),58)&"yyy"

And adjusted the columnwidth, rowheight and font size and I got about 7300
characters to print ok.

.........End Dave P.................

Failing that, use a Text Box to store the text or MS Word which is a word
processing application, unlike Excel which is not.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:43:02 -0700, Rachel
wrote:

I have copied (from an e-mail) and pasted a paragraph into a cell but not all
the text is showing (the cell has been formated to wrap text).

I have adjusted width/height, made sure the background was set to no fill,
all font is black and adjusted verticle & horizontal alignment. I even
unwrapped the text and merged a bunch a cells so that the text would show in
1 cell. This cut the text off as well but in a different spot. I have tried
all the obvious possible fixes but nothing has helped. Any suggestions?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When text is long and just seems to fizzle out at the end, I add alt-enters
every 80-100 characters (yep, manually) to get it to display correctly.

And I sometimes have to set the rowheight manually.

--

Dave Peterson