Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DR Hall

Default =CELL("filename") VOLATILE?

Our office is running Office / Excel 2003. When I enter the formula
=CELL("filename") into a cell on my computer and then save the file the cell
displays the filename correctly. But out of all the computers in our office
mine is the only one that this formula works on, we all have the same version
of Excel. Why is this?? All the ohter computers display #Value when this
formula is entered and the workbook saved!
Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

It only works after a workbook is saved, a workbook does not have a filename
until it is saved.

You should also anchor it to the sheet using a cell reference, any cell
reference, such =CELL("filename",A1)

--

HTH

RP

"DR Hall" wrote in message
Our office is running Office / Excel 2003. When I enter the formula
=CELL("filename") into a cell on my computer and then save the file the

cell
displays the filename correctly. But out of all the computers in our

office
mine is the only one that this formula works on, we all have the same

version
of Excel. Why is this?? All the ohter computers display #Value when this
formula is entered and the workbook saved!
Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DR Hall

Thanks for your reply Bob. I know about the anchoring reference, and the need
for the Workbook is saved, but this still doesn't work. If I create a file
with the filename formula on my computer and save the file it works fine.
When I then open the same Workbook on any other computer the formula does not
work and returns the #Value. If I create the formula on any other computer
and save the Workbook, it returns the #Value, but then if I open on my
computer it works again???

"DR Hall" wrote in message
Our office is running Office / Excel 2003. When I enter the formula
=CELL("filename") into a cell on my computer and then save the file the

cell
displays the filename correctly. But out of all the computers in our

office
mine is the only one that this formula works on, we all have the same

version
of Excel. Why is this?? All the ohter computers display #Value when this
formula is entered and the workbook saved!
Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

Can those other PCs use the CELL() function with any of the other arguments?

"address" Reference of the first cell in reference, as text.
"col" Column number of the cell in reference.
"color" 1 if the cell is formatted in color for negative values;
otherwise returns 0 (zero).
"contents" Value of the upper-left cell in reference; not a formula.
"filename" Filename (including full path) of the file that contains
reference, as text. Returns empty text ("") if the worksheet that contains
reference has not yet been saved.
"format" Text value corresponding to the number format of the cell.
The text values for the various formats are shown in the following table.
Returns "-" at the end of the text value if the cell is formatted in color
for negative values. Returns "()" at the end of the text value if the cell
is formatted with parentheses for positive or all values.
"parentheses" 1 if the cell is formatted with parentheses for positive
or all values; otherwise returns 0.
"prefix" Text value corresponding to the "label prefix" of the cell.
Returns single quotation mark (') if the cell contains left-aligned text,
double quotation mark (") if the cell contains right-aligned text, caret (^)
if the cell contains centered text, backslash (\) if the cell contains
fill-aligned text, and empty text ("") if the cell contains anything else.
"protect" 0 if the cell is not locked, and 1 if the cell is locked.
"row" Row number of the cell in reference.
"type" Text value corresponding to the type of data in the cell.
Returns "b" for blank if the cell is empty, "l" for label if the cell
contains a text constant, and "v" for value if the cell contains anything
else.
"width" Column width of the cell rounded off to an integer. Each unit
of column width is equal to the width of one character in the default font
size.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DR Hall

Duke, thanks you for your reply. I just tried all the other CELL() arguments
as you suggested and can report that they all work on my computer and the
arguments that don't work on any of the other machines are "filename",
"prefix" and "width" all the others work, the only difference between our
computers is the language setting. I am an English man working in Turkey and
so my computer is set to English (UK), all the other machines have windows
language set to Turkish. Why only "filename", "prefix", and "width" CELL()
arguments?? Any ideas!!!

Regards

DR Hall

"Duke Carey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Aladin Akyurek

Probably a parsing problem, that is, "Filename" is passing thru unparsed.

A workaround would be to include the morefunc.xll add-in in the workbook
you distribute and invoke whichever meets your need:

=FILENAME()

=FILENAME(1)

=XLM.GET.DOCUMENT(1)

"Duke Carey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

What is the Turkish equivalent of filename? In my Swedish version I use
=CELL("filnamn",A1) not filename

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Duke Carey" wrote:

[...]