Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
JasenD

Default Can I preserve chart formatting when the source data is updated?

My source data is in a list, and when I add data to the list, the chart
automatically updates by adding the new data but all chart formatting is
lost. I would like to know what I have to do to preserve the formatting of
the chart when updating the data.

I read similar questions in the forumns about losing formatting when working
with Pivot Charts, and that this can be fixed with Macros. I am not very
familar with Macros, and it seems like it would be more work than it is worth
to preserve formatting in a normal chart.

Is there an alternative method?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Don Guillett

more detail about what you are doing and how you are doing it. Perhaps you
need to use a defined name for your ranges that would be self adjusting.
Take a look at insertnamedefinename itin the refers to box type in
=offset($a$1,0,0,counta($A:$A),6) in the source
=yourworkname.xls!yourdefinedname

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"JasenD" wrote in message
My source data is in a list, and when I add data to the list, the chart
automatically updates by adding the new data but all chart formatting is
lost. I would like to know what I have to do to preserve the formatting of
the chart when updating the data.

I read similar questions in the forumns about losing formatting when
working
with Pivot Charts, and that this can be fixed with Macros. I am not very
familar with Macros, and it seems like it would be more work than it is
worth
to preserve formatting in a normal chart.

Is there an alternative method?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
JasenD

Default Can I preserve chart formatting when the source data is update

Don,

Thanks for replying. I am tracking prices of about 20 different commodities,
and I have created a Data List so I can input more data in the future. After
reading your reply, either I was not very clear about what list I am working
with or you may have misunderstand what I meant by list. By using the
insertnamedefine...., I know how you can creat a list and then use
Validation for a cell so that list appears in a drop down box for the cell.

What I am working with is the list under the Data menu (the list that allows
you to sort data and expand the list via the * row). I have several charts
link to this list, and when I add more data to the list, the charts update
but all formatting is lost. Do you know how to preserve the formatting?

I hope this clears up the misunderstanding, and thanks for helping.

-JasenD

"Don Guillett" wrote:

more detail about what you are doing and how you are doing it. Perhaps you
need to use a defined name for your ranges that would be self adjusting.
Take a look at insertnamedefinename itin the refers to box type in
=offset($a$1,0,0,counta($A:$A),6) in the source
=yourworkname.xls!yourdefinedname

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Don Guillett

If you like, send me a workbook along with a detailed explanation and a
before and after example.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software