Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Callum

Default Scaling x-axis with time

Can anyone help me with a problem I am having?

I have a spreadsheet showing 2000 data points plotted against time, sounds
simple

However, the number of data points corresponding to 1 second of 'footage'
varies. E.g. in a 1 second interval, I sometimes get 5 readings being
recorded (0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, 1.0 sec), and in the next 1 second interval, I
get 10 readings being recorded (0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9,
1.0 sec).

When it comes to graphing the data, the time scale along the X-axis is not
'to scale', I am looking to have the tick mark labels to be displayed in 1
second increments (instead of say every 5 data points).

Can anyone help me?

Thank you so much in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Callum

Kelly, thanks for the advice.

However, the x axis is a time scale in format hh:mm:ss.000 which I have
converted into ss (ranging from 0 sec - 0 sec (corresponding to 1:00). When
I try to format the x-axis scale, the min is set to 0, and the max is
automatically set to 0.0008.

I expected the max to be set to 60, not 0.0008. I suspect that the scaling
is not in the correct format (i.e. ss).

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Callum

"Kelly O'Day" wrote:

Callum:

Use an XY chart, not a line chart.

Once you have XY chart, change X axis format to meet your needs.

Post back with specific questions and I'll be glad to walk you through
process.

...Kelly

"Callum" wrote in message
Can anyone help me with a problem I am having?

I have a spreadsheet showing 2000 data points plotted against time, sounds
simple

However, the number of data points corresponding to 1 second of 'footage'
varies. E.g. in a 1 second interval, I sometimes get 5 readings being
recorded (0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, 1.0 sec), and in the next 1 second interval,
get 10 readings being recorded (0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8,
0.9,
1.0 sec).

When it comes to graphing the data, the time scale along the X-axis is not
'to scale', I am looking to have the tick mark labels to be displayed in 1
second increments (instead of say every 5 data points).

Can anyone help me?

Thank you so much in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
David Biddulph

"Callum" wrote in message
Kelly, thanks for the advice.

However, the x axis is a time scale in format hh:mm:ss.000 which I have
converted into ss (ranging from 0 sec - 0 sec (corresponding to 1:00).
When
I try to format the x-axis scale, the min is set to 0, and the max is
automatically set to 0.0008.

I expected the max to be set to 60, not 0.0008. I suspect that the
scaling
is not in the correct format (i.e. ss).

Your 60s, if in a cell formatted in time, will actually be stored as
0.000694444 which is 1/24/60, i.e. a minute as a fraction of a day, as Excel
stores times in days.
The 0.0008 tick mark is 1 minute 9.12 seconds.
If yu want to set the maximum of the axis to 0:01:00 (i.e. 60 seconds), you
can do that. Similarly, you can set the major unit on the axis to 0:0:10 if
you want to.

When you go back into "Format Axis" the numbers will appear as proportions
of a day, but you can use time formatting to set them if you wish.
--
David Biddulph