Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Peter Bernadyne

Default How to Ignore #N/As for X-Axis TickMarks?

I have a time-series line chart I am plotting at changing frequencies
depending upon user input. Under the Axes option, I am using
'Category', so as to reflect the actual dates.

At the highest frequency (daily), I have a date for every datapoint, so
I have no problem here. However, at any other lower frequency, while
the chart correctly ignores interim datapoints whose values are #N/A
(rather than plotting zero), for some reason the x-axis does NOT ignore
these and therefore I cannot accurately display the dates corresponding
to the valid datapoints at these other frequencies, returning mostly
#N/A tickmarks along the x-axis.

Does anyone happen to know of a workaround solution to this?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

-Pete

--
Peter Bernadyne
Peter Bernadyne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7017

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
David Biddulph

"Peter Bernadyne"
<Peter.Bernadyne.27wpwn_1147794005.5064@excelfor um-nospam.com wrote in
message news:Peter.Bernadyne.27wpwn_1147794005.5064@excelf orum-nospam.com...

I have a time-series line chart I am plotting at changing frequencies
depending upon user input. Under the Axes option, I am using
'Category', so as to reflect the actual dates.

At the highest frequency (daily), I have a date for every datapoint, so
I have no problem here. However, at any other lower frequency, while
the chart correctly ignores interim datapoints whose values are #N/A
(rather than plotting zero), for some reason the x-axis does NOT ignore
these and therefore I cannot accurately display the dates corresponding
to the valid datapoints at these other frequencies, returning mostly
#N/A tickmarks along the x-axis.

Does anyone happen to know of a workaround solution to this?

Have you tried an X-Y scatter chart instead of a line chart?
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Peter Bernadyne

Hi,

Thank your for this kind suggestion.

To answer your question, I have indeed tried it and it does work around
this problem.

However, I have spotted a fault in my original posting. I neglected to
mention that I also have a column chart version of this chart which,
unlike the scatter-plot solution, does not appear to work as the chart
still reads the #N/A datapoints and my columns become very very narrow
(or thin) as the representation of yearly datapoints occur only a very
few times compared to the many hundreds of daily observations I have.

That's why I was wondering whether there was some workaround to get the
chart to ignore #N/A values along the axis entirely. Seems strange that
#N/As are not plotted, yet still show up on the axis.

Any help much appreciated.

-Pete

--
Peter Bernadyne
Peter Bernadyne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7017
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=542554

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

The NA() doesn't work to skip points with all kinds of charts, just XY,
line, and unfilled radar charts. Also, the NA() is bypassed only along a
value axis, so both axes on an XY chart (i.e., X and Y values) and a line
chart with a time-scale axis, but only Y on a line or unfilled radar chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services

[...]