Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
adamuk

Default Excel Scatter Plot

Hello! I'm very new to using Excel, and having problems creating a
scatter plot. I have tried using the wizard/chart button on excel, but
must be doing something wrong as it's not displaying the data
correctly. I'm hoping somebody will help me, please. I'm pulling my
hair out, as i cannot do it!!

Basically, i have been given the following fields of data -

Territory 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10
Showings 3 1 4 0 2 4 0
3 1 2
Sales 2.6 1.2 3 1 2 3.6
0.5 3.2 1.8 2.5

I have been told to 'Construct a scatter plot of the data'.

Could somebody please give a few minutes to try and find out how to do
it?
I have attached my (feeble!) attempt at it. I'm hoping i have done it
correctly. If not, cound somebody please tell me what i have done
wrong?

I don't think it's imperative to plot the territory. I think 'showings'
and 'sales' compare better. But if i can somehow include territory then
it would be better.

|Filename: Book1.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4528 |

adamuk
adamuk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32861
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=526703

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Kelly O'Day

Adam:

I have looked at your scatter plot. A few points:

1. You have created a scatter chart.

2. Data Table - you have set your data up horizontally, data going from left
to right.
It is usually preferable to arrange your data in a vertical format.

3. You can easily transpose your data by selecting - copying it, select a
copy to cell , then use Edit Paste special Transpose . This will arrange
your data vertically.

4. Chart Aesthetics - there are several aesthetic improvement that you can
make, remove legend, remove gray background color, etc.

I have a page on Effective Charting that gives a series of tips on how to
improve on Excel's default chart appearance.

http://processtrends.com/pg_chart_ti...ctive_Charting

....Kelly

"adamuk" wrote in
message ...

Hello! I'm very new to using Excel, and having problems creating a
scatter plot. I have tried using the wizard/chart button on excel, but
must be doing something wrong as it's not displaying the data
correctly. I'm hoping somebody will help me, please. I'm pulling my
hair out, as i cannot do it!!

Basically, i have been given the following fields of data -

Territory 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10
Showings 3 1 4 0 2 4 0
3 1 2
Sales 2.6 1.2 3 1 2 3.6
0.5 3.2 1.8 2.5

I have been told to 'Construct a scatter plot of the data'.

Could somebody please give a few minutes to try and find out how to do
it?
I have attached my (feeble!) attempt at it. I'm hoping i have done it
correctly. If not, cound somebody please tell me what i have done
wrong?

I don't think it's imperative to plot the territory. I think 'showings'
and 'sales' compare better. But if i can somehow include territory then
it would be better.

|Filename: Book1.zip |
|Download:
http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4528 |

adamuk
adamuk's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=526703

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Your data looks straightforward enough. Just to make su for best results,
the data should be in a contiguous range, no blank rows or columns. It's
better in columns, but it's okay in rows. For an XY chart, all data should
be numerical, which yours seems to be. For chart types other than XY, delete
the label in the top left cell, to help Excel determine the categories and
series names.

If the data is appropriately arranged, select the entire range (including
categories and series names) and run the chart wizard. Choose the chart type
in step 1, and in step 2 check that the data range was correctly
interpreted.

If this doesn't work, describe in words what's wrong. Most people will not
open a file. Many because of viruses, but me because of the time and effort
it takes. Avoid the easy out of clicking the Attach button.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"adamuk" wrote in
message ...