Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Frager

Default Value (Y) axis crosses between dates

I would appreciate it if someone could point me to a site where I can get
information on the use of/thinking behind:

1. Value (Y) axis crosses between dates

2. Value (Y) axis crosses at maximum value

that appears under 'Scale' in the 'Format Gridlines' dialog box.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

1. Value (Y) axis crosses between dates

This means the axis crosses between dates (or categories) rather than at a
date (or category). In a line or column chart, this means that a data marker
or column is never split on the vertical axis.

By default, Line and Column charts have this item checked, while Area charts
have it unchecked, so the colored area goes right up to the edges of the
plot area.

2. Value (Y) axis crosses at maximum value

This means Excel will place the axis at the maximum of the category (X)
axis, rather than at the default of zero (or the minimum of the axis if the
minimum is greater than zero). A primary axis has this unchecked by default,
while a secondary axis has it checked, so the secondary does not lie right
on top of the primary axis. There's no "crosses at minimum", though I wish
there had been. If you set a value for "Value (Y) Axis Crosses At", this box
will be unchecked.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Frager" wrote in message
I would appreciate it if someone could point me to a site where I can get
information on the use of/thinking behind:

1. Value (Y) axis crosses between dates

2. Value (Y) axis crosses at maximum value

that appears under 'Scale' in the 'Format Gridlines' dialog box.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Frager

Thanks, Jon for the information.