Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
bob2

Default X-Axis scaling on graph

Hi,
I'm trying to scale a spread-sheet of daily temperatures throughout the
year.
Y-axis is temperature, x-axis is the date. Question: How can I scale
the x-axis to show the month with *variable* no. of days for the main
interval, ie 31 days for january, 29 days for february etc.
Bob2

--
bob2
bob2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28923

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

1. Your dates have to be fully qualified numerical dates (with day, month,
year) recognized by Excel.

2. Use a line chart or column chart, with the dates as above used as
category (X) values.

3. The chart should automatically build the X axis is a date-scale axis
(which MS erroneously calls "time-scale"). You can format the axis by double
clicking: on the Scale tab, make sure the base unit is set to days and the
Major unit to an integral number of months.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"bob2" wrote in message

I'm trying to scale a spread-sheet of daily temperatures throughout the
year.
Y-axis is temperature, x-axis is the date. Question: How can I scale
the x-axis to show the month with *variable* no. of days for the main
interval, ie 31 days for january, 29 days for february etc.
Bob2

--
bob2
bob2's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=486649

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Peter Bernadyne

Hi,

I have this problem as well.

I've tried doing this, but it doesn't seem to work. For example, I
have the following data to plot:

01/31/95 0.29623
12/29/95 0.19822
12/31/96 0.13931
12/31/97 0.33036
12/31/98 0.082194
12/31/99 0.23669
12/29/00 -0.25575
12/31/01 0.023404
12/31/02 -0.11949
12/31/03 -0.018228
12/31/04 0.12326

with the dates being the actual dates I wish to plot on my x-axis. As
you can see, they are irregular dates. Regardless of how I try (with
ensuring the Minor Unit is on Days and the Major on months), I can't
seem to get the right combination to have Excel plot the actual dates
above. Instead, it seems to keep defaulting to the last day in
January, probably due to the first data point in the date series.

Does anyone have any ideas how I would fix this to get the actual dates
to plot on the x-axis?

Thanks,

-Pete

--