MB

Default Format numbers in chart datatable

Hi,

Is there a way to format the numbers displayed in the datatable attached to
the chart after it is created not by formating the cells that the chart is
plotted from.

I have a chart that I populate from arrays thru VBA code. The DataTable for
the chart shows the values as they are entered in the array. Is there a way
to have the values in the DataTable shows in the format "0.00%"?? please help!

I tried to use the FormatPercent function, the NumberFormat function, Format
function..etc. with no success.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
MB

John Mansfield

MB,

Unfortunately you can not change the number formatting in the data table to
be different from the original source. The numbers in the data data will
always use the same number format as the source data.

You might want to consider using worksheet cells as an alternative to the
data table. An explanation can be found he

http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce...n_data_tables/

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"MB" wrote:

Hi,

Is there a way to format the numbers displayed in the datatable attached to
the chart after it is created not by formating the cells that the chart is
plotted from.

I have a chart that I populate from arrays thru VBA code. The DataTable for
the chart shows the values as they are entered in the array. Is there a way
to have the values in the DataTable shows in the format "0.00%"?? please help!

I tried to use the FormatPercent function, the NumberFormat function, Format
function..etc. with no success.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
MB

scheer333

John,
I have created a chart and picked to show the datatable. The underlying
data in the tables is formatted as currency and when in design mode of the
report the data being displayed in the datatable is also formatted as
currency. But when i print preview the numbers displayed in the datatable
have no format. They simply look like: 123456789. But I need them to be
displayed as $123,456,789.
If I include the data labels on the chart, they are displayed as currency
but I can not figure out how to display the datatable numbers as currency.

"MB" wrote:

Hi,

Is there a way to format the numbers displayed in the datatable attached to
the chart after it is created not by formating the cells that the chart is
plotted from.

I have a chart that I populate from arrays thru VBA code. The DataTable for
the chart shows the values as they are entered in the array. Is there a way
to have the values in the DataTable shows in the format "0.00%"?? please help!

I tried to use the FormatPercent function, the NumberFormat function, Format
function..etc. with no success.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
MB

Jon Peltier

John's suggestion (from his blog) is to use a worksheet range next to or
below the chart as its data table. This affords much more flexibility in
formatting and in what you can include and exclude from the table, and
in what order.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP