Ken

Default Chart Format & Linking?

Excel 2000 ... My WorkBook contains 13 TabSheets ...
TabSheet 1 is a Data Sheet ... remaining 12 TabSheets are
Charts linked to the Data Sheet.

Above said ... I wish to put each of the 12 Charts into a
separate WorkBook with Charts linked to the WorkBook
TabSheet with the Data Source.

Start = 1 WorkBook ... 1 Data Sheet ... 12 Charts
Finish = 13 WorkBooks ... 1 w/Data Sheet ... 12 w/Charts.

This so I can input Data to a single Data Sheet & have
Charts updated for 12 Users.

I have tried copying chart into New WorkBook ... Copying
Chart TabSheet into New WorkBook ... & also creating 2
identical WorkBooks & deleting what I do not need. Each
method seemed to link ok, but I loose Chart formatting in
each case.

Bottom line ... How do I do this ... Thanks ... Kha
Jon Peltier

Ken -

Right click on the tab of a chart sheet, select Move or Copy from the pop up menu.
In the To Book dropdown, select (New Book), don't check the Create a Copy box. That
sheet now resides within its own workbook. Repeat for the other charts.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Ken wrote:
Excel 2000 ... My WorkBook contains 13 TabSheets ...
TabSheet 1 is a Data Sheet ... remaining 12 TabSheets are
Charts linked to the Data Sheet.

Above said ... I wish to put each of the 12 Charts into a
separate WorkBook with Charts linked to the WorkBook
TabSheet with the Data Source.

Start = 1 WorkBook ... 1 Data Sheet ... 12 Charts
Finish = 13 WorkBooks ... 1 w/Data Sheet ... 12 w/Charts.

This so I can input Data to a single Data Sheet & have
Charts updated for 12 Users.

I have tried copying chart into New WorkBook ... Copying
Chart TabSheet into New WorkBook ... & also creating 2
identical WorkBooks & deleting what I do not need. Each
method seemed to link ok, but I loose Chart formatting in
each case.

Bottom line ... How do I do this ... Thanks ... Kha

Brian Reilly, MS MVP

Jon,
You probably know this but I'll post it for others.
That is exactly what I do when taking charts into PowerPoint and not
wanting to embed the entire workbook each time.
Actually, I create a copy which leaves the original chart in the
original workbook for the next update. I also copy the color palette
from the original workbook since I ofter use custom colors.

Also FYI, this chart inserted into PowerPoint is still linked to the
sourcedatarange and will automatically update to new data just by
activating the chart in Excel, but one wants to be careful about paths
here.

Brian Reilly, PowerPoint MVP