Gill

Default Want graph with 2 axis, but bars overlap when second axis added

I need to have a bar graph with two data sets of different scales, yet when I
change one data set to an secondary axis, the two bars combine. I need them
to be sitting side by side.

thanks
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Want graph with 2 axis, but bars overlap when second axis added

Creating a Bar Graph with Two Data Sets of Different Scales in Excel
  1. Enter your data into Excel, with two sets of data, one for each axis.
  2. Select the data you want to plot, including both sets of data. Click on the "Insert" tab and select "Clustered Bar" chart type.
  3. Add the secondary axis by right-clicking on one of the data series and selecting "Format Data Series".
  4. In the "Format Data Series" pane, select the "Series Options" tab and check the box next to "Secondary Axis".
  5. Right-click on one of the bars and select "Format Data Series" again.
  6. In the "Format Data Series" pane, select the "Series Options" tab and change the "Gap Width" to a smaller number, such as 25%.
  7. Repeat step 6 for the other set of data, if necessary.

That's it! You should now have a bar graph with two data sets of different scales, plotted on separate axes and sitting side by side.

Formula:
// No macro or Visual Basic code found in the text
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Andy Pope

Here is one example.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...sterStack.html

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Jon Peltier

Actually, this is more likely to be helpful:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...OnTwoAxes.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Hi,

Gill wrote:

I need to have a bar graph with two data sets of different scales, yet
when I change one data set to an secondary axis, the two bars
combine. I need them to be sitting side by side.

thanks

Junior Member

Dear excel addicted,
Is my first post on this forum and I have retreived an old post to start. I hope it will be not considered as not polite :)

It's few days that I'm puzziling on this thread issue.
The solution provided by Jon in the link
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...OnTwoAxes.html
almost fits my needs...but it's not enough!
In fact I need to show under the graph also the table with the data values. And here came the problem, because the table shows also the dummy series..
Very odd!!!

Anyone has a solution?

Thanks and greetings from Italy

Francesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Peltier View Post