hstaaks

Default Office Web Components; combined chart Doughnut/Scatterline doesn't work

I'm trying to build this speedometer by using Web Components (so not
withing Excel, but within our development tool by using COM):
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/SpeedometerXP.html

Everything goes okay until I have to add the serie that represent the
needles. The problem is the WHOLE chart (so not only the needle serie,
but also the doughnut serie) is changing to the ScatterLine type when
changing the needle serie to ScatterLine. Is this the combination
Doughnut/Scatterline??? Because when trying this with the combination
ColumnClustered/Line this is working okay!! Also
ColumnClusterd/Scatterline is not working.

I tried the speedometer example in Excel and that worked fine, so there
must be some difference in Excel and Office Web Components?!

Has anyone experienced the same? Could anyone help? We need this
speedometer so much...

--
hstaaks
Jon Peltier

I work almost entirely in Excel, and I only used the OWC charting
component for fifteen minutes, about three years ago. Obviously, Excel
is easier to use, because you can see what's going on. But it's less
flexible, since you're stuck within the whole Excel infrastructure.

I know there are differences between OWC and Excel. There must also be
some similarities. Here's an idea: what if you switch the scatter series
to the secondary axes before changing its chart type to scatter? Excel
automatically switches axes in a combo chart if the chart types are
sufficiently different, but maybe the OWC isn't clever enough to create
that combo unless you switch the axes for it.

Probably it won't work, but it's worth trying.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services