Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default 2007 not plotting correct values

I am having some trouble getting Excel 2007 to chart two columns versus one
another. All I need is for the value in the first column to be the x value
and the second column to be the y value. Excel disagrees with this and keeps
plotting the *cell number* on the x-axis. I have been trying figure this out
and cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I would appreciate any insight on this issue.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I have just put up a file for you at:-

http://www.pierrefondes.com/

It is item number 40. towards the top of my home page.

I cannot reproduce your problem in EXCEL 2007 but perhaps this chart helps.

Thanks.

"confusedgeo" wrote:

I am having some trouble getting Excel 2007 to chart two columns versus one
another. All I need is for the value in the first column to be the x value
and the second column to be the y value. Excel disagrees with this and keeps
plotting the *cell number* on the x-axis. I have been trying figure this out
and cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I would appreciate any insight on this issue.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I am using a XY chart, not a line chart. However, it shouldn't make any
difference because all I need to do is plot Cartesian coordinates with the
x-y values in separate columns. A line chart would still have to get the x
values from someplace.

Example:

Column 1 Column 2
.0023 .14

I need the coordinates to be (x,y) (.0023, .14)

As it stands, Excel is charting each data point in a sequence it has chosen
with the first data point at x=1 and the last data point x=3763.

I have 3763 data points total and my max range on the x-axis should be below
1.0

"David Biddulph" wrote:

What type of chart? Are you using a line chart instead of XY?
--
David Biddulph

"confusedgeo" wrote in message
I am having some trouble getting Excel 2007 to chart two columns versus one
another. All I need is for the value in the first column to be the x
value
and the second column to be the y value. Excel disagrees with this and
keeps
plotting the *cell number* on the x-axis. I have been trying figure this
out
and cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I would appreciate any insight on this issue.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

If your x data is being plotted as sequential value 1,2,3 etc. That would
suggest some/all of the x values are text.
Use a empty cell and enter 1. Copy and PasteSpecial Multiply over you X
values.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"confusedgeo" wrote in message
I am having some trouble getting Excel 2007 to chart two columns versus one
another. All I need is for the value in the first column to be the x
value
and the second column to be the y value. Excel disagrees with this and
keeps
plotting the *cell number* on the x-axis. I have been trying figure this
out
and cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I would appreciate any insight on this issue.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The difference is that a line chart treats the x values as category labels,
not as distances along the X-axis.
But if you are using XY it should be OK. It's worth checking in the Source
Data option in the chart to see what range it is using for the X axis. One
cause of problems like this on an XY chart is if any cells in the range
contain text, rather than numbers. Text values that look like numbers, or
spaces, can cause problems. Use =ISTEXT(A1) and =ISNUMBER(A1) [and copy
down] to check (as you can't just look at the cell format).
--

"David Biddulph" wrote:

What type of chart? Are you using a line chart instead of XY?
--
David Biddulph

"confusedgeo" wrote in message
I am having some trouble getting Excel 2007 to chart two columns versus
one
another. All I need is for the value in the first column to be the x
value
and the second column to be the y value. Excel disagrees with this and
keeps
plotting the *cell number* on the x-axis. I have been trying figure
this
out
and cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I would appreciate any insight on this issue.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Type this into the EXCEL 2007 F1 key help facility:-

Present Your Data In A Scatter Chart Or A Line Chart

I think that the above may help.

The above topic covers in detail the construction of the X axis for a
Scatter (XY) Chart.