Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Reshaping histograms

I have two data series and I can create two different histograms showing the
shape of the data in each series. I want to reshape one histogram (modify
the data) so that it looks like the other histogram. How do I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You could modify the data in the cells.

If you have Excel 2003 or earlier you can select a point (a bar), which
takes a single click to select the series then another single click to
select the point, then move the mouse to the top of the bar and the
cursor changes to a two headed vertical arrow. Click and drag the end of
the bar, and the data in the worksheet will change accordingly.

Excel 2007 has lost this capability.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

M E Mathis wrote:
I have two data series and I can create two different histograms showing the
shape of the data in each series. I want to reshape one histogram (modify
the data) so that it looks like the other histogram. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Yes! Excellent! Of Course this works great; you learn something new everyday.
Now, do you know how I can assure that both distributions reflect the same
statistics such as mean, standard deviation, kurtosis, etc?

Mark Mathis

M E Mathis wrote:
I have two data series and I can create two different histograms showing the
shape of the data in each series. I want to reshape one histogram (modify
the data) so that it looks like the other histogram. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I tried to reply earlier, but I don't know if it worked. Your solution was
great; I hadn't realized that dragging like this changed the cells. So now,
I can get the statistics for the individual columns of each histogram to make
sure they are equivalent, but which ones would you suggest; mean standard
deviation, kurtosis, others?

M E Mathis wrote:
I have two data series and I can create two different histograms showing the
shape of the data in each series. I want to reshape one histogram (modify
the data) so that it looks like the other histogram. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Dragging bars won't have the resolution to assure matching statistics.
You'd have to generate numbers in your second set that conform to the
distribution of the first.

- Jon
-------