Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Excel - xy plot fill plotted rectangle

Hi,

Do any new versions of excel have the ability to plot the four corners of a
rectangle on an XY scatter plot, i.e. five pairs of coordinates (x1y1, x1y2,
x2 y2, x2y1, and to close the box x1y1), and then "fill" the rectangle with a
colour of my choice, or any polygon defined by the vertices.

I know an old product by Corel (quattro pro?) used to be able to do this.

Thanks
Mark
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

It is a long process but see
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/XYAreaChart.html
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mark" wrote in message

Do any new versions of excel have the ability to plot the four corners of
rectangle on an XY scatter plot, i.e. five pairs of coordinates (x1y1,
x1y2,
x2 y2, x2y1, and to close the box x1y1), and then "fill" the rectangle
with a
colour of my choice, or any polygon defined by the vertices.

I know an old product by Corel (quattro pro?) used to be able to do this.

Thanks
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Bernard,

I think I looked at this quite a while back (years?), however, I don't think
it accomplished what I needed, as I need to fill not just one rectangle on an
XY plot, but potentially hundreds that are not aligned vertically.

If I remember, this technique wouldn't work for more than a single shaded
area. Please let me know if I am missing something.

"Mark" wrote in message

Do any new versions of excel have the ability to plot the four corners of
rectangle on an XY scatter plot, i.e. five pairs of coordinates (x1y1,
x1y2,
x2 y2, x2y1, and to close the box x1y1), and then "fill" the rectangle
with a
colour of my choice, or any polygon defined by the vertices.

I know an old product by Corel (quattro pro?) used to be able to do this.

Thanks
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

VBA is your only option given the number of fills you will require.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/VBAdraw.html

Cheers
Andy

"Mark" wrote in message

Do any new versions of excel have the ability to plot the four corners of
rectangle on an XY scatter plot, i.e. five pairs of coordinates (x1y1,
x1y2,
x2 y2, x2y1, and to close the box x1y1), and then "fill" the rectangle
with a
colour of my choice, or any polygon defined by the vertices.

I know an old product by Corel (quattro pro?) used to be able to do this.

Thanks
Mark

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,
Thank you for your help. I have a functioning pice of code now that works to
my specifications with some alterations.

I ran into a problem when I would try to fill a rectangle where the hieght
is small. For instance when the difference between the y-coordinates is less
than 0.38, the third point will be skipped and a triangle is formed instead
of a rectangle. The markers from the points are correct, but for some reason
the code doesn't connect a line to all of the points.

Thank you for you help,