Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Data label above columns??

Hi,

I have some stacked column charts and I want the data labels to appear just
above each column. Is that possible?

I'm using excel 2003 version and the only options i can see for the label
positions are "inside end", "center" and "inside base" - so at the moment I'm
moving each data label manually and this is very time concuming!

Thanks in advance for any advice you offer :)

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Data label above columns??

Hi K,

Yes, it is possible to have the data labels appear just above each column in your stacked column chart. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the chart and click on the "Layout" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on "Data Labels" and then select "More Data Label Options".
  3. In the "Format Data Labels" dialog box, select the "Label Position" tab.
  4. Choose "Above" from the list of options.
  5. You can also adjust the "Label Options" to show the series name, category name, or value.
  6. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

This should move all the data labels to appear just above each column in your stacked column chart. You won't have to move each label manually anymore, which should save you a lot of time.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I'm afraid it's not an option due to the confusion it would cause. If the
label is above the stack it refers to, it could be sitting on top of another
stack, thus making it unclear as to which stack it is actually referring to.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Kadence" wrote:

Hi,

I have some stacked column charts and I want the data labels to appear just
above each column. Is that possible?

I'm using excel 2003 version and the only options i can see for the label
positions are "inside end", "center" and "inside base" - so at the moment I'm
moving each data label manually and this is very time concuming!

Thanks in advance for any advice you offer :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

As Luke points out this is not an option due to the potential confusion over
the association of data point with data label.

Having said that it is possible to get the effect by add dummy series,
plotting them as stacked line. Then using the line series to display data
labels with the alignment set to Above. The dummy series would be based on
the same data as the columns.

Cheers
Andy

--