Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Problem with scatter chart in 07.

I'm making thrust curves in Excel using scatter charts. I've got tables that
have thrust vs speed for each gear. When I limit the data series range to
cells with data in them, everything works and each data series has the
correct registry vs the x (speed) axis. But now I'm creating a generic
spreadsheet where any user could cut and paste data from chassis dynos, so
I've changed the tables that get filled out to be longer. I use if(location
< 0, value, "") statements to keep unneeded cells from being filled with
zeros, and now all the series get placed on the graphs based on data point
number, not the X axis value. This really is a royal PITA, as in effect it's
destroying the scatter plot. Any ideas here?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I solved the problem with a hint from one of John Peltiers items on his web
site (a reference in his example on conditional charts). Seems that the
=IF(condition,value,"") is what makes the scatter chart puke. When I changed
the statements to =IF(condition,value,NA()) everything worked.

Thanks John for the help you didn't know that you'd given me!

Matt

"Matt Richter" wrote:

I'm making thrust curves in Excel using scatter charts. I've got tables that
have thrust vs speed for each gear. When I limit the data series range to
cells with data in them, everything works and each data series has the
correct registry vs the x (speed) axis. But now I'm creating a generic
spreadsheet where any user could cut and paste data from chassis dynos, so
I've changed the tables that get filled out to be longer. I use if(location
< 0, value, "") statements to keep unneeded cells from being filled with
zeros, and now all the series get placed on the graphs based on data point
number, not the X axis value. This really is a royal PITA, as in effect it's
destroying the scatter plot. Any ideas here?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You're welcome!

- Jon
-------