Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Cannot combine chart type error with only one chart.

I am receiving the error "Some chart types cannot be combined with other
chart types. Select a different chart type."

Funny thing is... this is the only chart I am trying to create. There are no
other charts in the entire workbook. Moving the data to another sheet in the
workbook does not work.

I am running excel 07.

I can copy the data to a new workbook and create the chart with no problem.
Is it possible that something in this specific workbook is corrupted?
If I copy the chart from the new workbook to the bad one, all the data
"disappears".

I would be happy to email the file in question to someone who thinks they
can help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

That error message does not have anything to do with multiple charts/moving
charts. Its telling you that you can' combine chart types. I.e., you can't
make a chart with 1 series being a chart, and the other being a line chart.
Commonly used combination charts are column-line, scatter-column.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what's going wrong.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Kermit" wrote:

I am receiving the error "Some chart types cannot be combined with other
chart types. Select a different chart type."

Funny thing is... this is the only chart I am trying to create. There are no
other charts in the entire workbook. Moving the data to another sheet in the
workbook does not work.

I am running excel 07.

I can copy the data to a new workbook and create the chart with no problem.
Is it possible that something in this specific workbook is corrupted?
If I copy the chart from the new workbook to the bad one, all the data
"disappears".

I would be happy to email the file in question to someone who thinks they
can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thans for your response Luke,

I think you misunderstood me. I am not trying to combine chart types. I have
a column of 7 numbers that I want to make into a column chart. I do not want
any other chart type at all. Excel will not let me create a chart at all.

If I highlight my 7 numbers, then click insert, and then any type of chart
at all, I get the error message.

If I copy the data into a new workbook (copy, paste special, paste values),
it works fine. If I copy or move the worksheet to a new workbook, I get the
same error.

That's what leads me to believe that this one workbook is corrupted somehow.
I would prefer not to have to create this workbook from scratch again, and
while having two workbooks (one for data and one for charts) is a solution, I
don't think I should have to do that.

"Kermit" wrote:

I am receiving the error "Some chart types cannot be combined with other
chart types. Select a different chart type."

Funny thing is... this is the only chart I am trying to create. There are no
other charts in the entire workbook. Moving the data to another sheet in the
workbook does not work.

I am running excel 07.

I can copy the data to a new workbook and create the chart with no problem.
Is it possible that something in this specific workbook is corrupted?
If I copy the chart from the new workbook to the bad one, all the data
"disappears".

I would be happy to email the file in question to someone who thinks they
can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

If you want to email me the workbook I will take a look and see if I can
discover why, other than corruption, you get the message.
andy AT andypope DOT info

Do you have the service pack installed?

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

"Kermit" wrote:

I am receiving the error "Some chart types cannot be combined with
other
chart types. Select a different chart type."

Funny thing is... this is the only chart I am trying to create. There
are no
other charts in the entire workbook. Moving the data to another sheet
in the
workbook does not work.

I am running excel 07.

I can copy the data to a new workbook and create the chart with no
problem.
Is it possible that something in this specific workbook is corrupted?
If I copy the chart from the new workbook to the bad one, all the data
"disappears".

I would be happy to email the file in question to someone who thinks
they
can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Andy. And yes all service packs are installed (windows and office).
When I run windows update there are no availalbe updates for windows or
office. That was one of the first things I tried.

"Kermit" wrote:

I am receiving the error "Some chart types cannot be combined with
other
chart types. Select a different chart type."

Funny thing is... this is the only chart I am trying to create. There
are no
other charts in the entire workbook. Moving the data to another sheet
in the
workbook does not work.

I am running excel 07.

I can copy the data to a new workbook and create the chart with no
problem.
Is it possible that something in this specific workbook is corrupted?
If I copy the chart from the new workbook to the bad one, all the data
"disappears".

I would be happy to email the file in question to someone who thinks
they
can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks for the example file.

The problem is caused by the name of the worksheet. The use of a period in
the sheet name whilst not prohibited does stop the chart from being created.

Simply changing the sheet name from A3.2 to A3-2 stops the dialog from
appearing and allows the chart to be created.

Cheers
Andy

--

"Kermit" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I have the same problem but it's not caused by periods in the worksheet
names. I had underscores in the worksheet names, and I removed them, still
doesn't work.

Let me clarify a little more on my situation. I'm trying to create a bubble
chart. I create the chart, screw it up, then cut it so I can start over.
After doing this a couple of times, the next time I click the bubble chart
icon to create my chart I get this errorr: "Some chart types cannot be
combined with other chart types. Select a different chart type." It
repeatedly does this now.

So It seems like in my case something is left hanging around. I got the
error yesterday and after doing something (like working on other sheets or
closing the spreadsheet) else I came back and excel allowed me to create my
bubble chart again. This time I've closed excel, restarted it, and I still
get the error.

Thanks for any help,
Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I forgot to mention I'm running excel 08 on a Mac.

(notice how I removed all the quoted text that used to be here?)

Steve