Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Legend and text entry

I am on Excel 2003 and need to create a simple pie chart. I am asked to put
into the legend the data, individual dollar amounts and then the total in the
Legend. Is that possible and if so how can I do that without effecting my
chart. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

If you are asking how to put the values of the datapoints into the Legend -
Excel does not do this by default. But you can do it by creating a custom
name for each of the data points.

Suppose you have the names of the data points in A1:A5 and the values you
are plotting in B1:B5. Insert a column between A:B and enter the formula
=A1&" - "&C1
Copy this down and then plot columns B:C. The legend will display as the
name of the data point and its value.

Regarding adding the Total to the Legend - You could add entry in B6 which
reads
="Total: "&SUM(C1:C5)

You would enter nothing in C6 and then you would plot B1:C6.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire