Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Joe Joe is offline

Default Legend box displays on top of plot area.

Charts that I have generated using an Access macro display the legend on top
of the plot area. Attempting to format the legend area - including toggling
on/off the "show legend without overlapping the chart" does not change the
behavior.

Changing the chart layout (chart tools/design/chart layout) will fix the
problem, but then I need to manually edit the chart back to the layout I
need. I would like to understand what property/feature I am setting in the
macro that causes this behavior.

This behavior is not/was not seen in office 2003 environment. Access Macro
was not changed going from Ofiice 2003 to Office 2007.

--
joe richards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Without seeing the Access macro, I don't know why the legend isn't where you
want it. Unfortunately MS has made some formatting options of charts much
more difficult. Right click on the legend, choose Format Legend, then on the
first pane of the dialog, choose the legend position that you want.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"joe" wrote in message
Charts that I have generated using an Access macro display the legend on
top
of the plot area. Attempting to format the legend area - including
toggling
on/off the "show legend without overlapping the chart" does not change the
behavior.

Changing the chart layout (chart tools/design/chart layout) will fix the
problem, but then I need to manually edit the chart back to the layout I
need. I would like to understand what property/feature I am setting in
the
macro that causes this behavior.

This behavior is not/was not seen in office 2003 environment. Access
Macro
was not changed going from Ofiice 2003 to Office 2007.

--
joe richards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Joe Joe is offline

Jon;

I have tried that, and it does move the legend to the postion expected.
However, it always placed teh legend on top of the plot area, regardless of
the state of the "Show the legend without overlapping the chart" check box in
the format dialog.

--
joe richards

"joe" wrote in message
Charts that I have generated using an Access macro display the legend on
top
of the plot area. Attempting to format the legend area - including
toggling
on/off the "show legend without overlapping the chart" does not change the
behavior.

Changing the chart layout (chart tools/design/chart layout) will fix the
problem, but then I need to manually edit the chart back to the layout I
need. I would like to understand what property/feature I am setting in
the
macro that causes this behavior.

This behavior is not/was not seen in office 2003 environment. Access
Macro
was not changed going from Ofiice 2003 to Office 2007.

--
joe richards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Assuming this is an Access macro, you might get better results in the Access
Newsgroup, its close by.

I you creating the charting in Access and then displaying them in Excel. If
so you might consider passing the data to Excel and plotting it entirely in
Excel. I'm not too biased but I think Excel's charting engine is better.
(Access people - don't get hot, I think Access is a great tool, but although
I know its hard to believe, there are times when one should use Excel).

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"joe" wrote:

Charts that I have generated using an Access macro display the legend on top
of the plot area. Attempting to format the legend area - including toggling
on/off the "show legend without overlapping the chart" does not change the
behavior.

Changing the chart layout (chart tools/design/chart layout) will fix the
problem, but then I need to manually edit the chart back to the layout I
need. I would like to understand what property/feature I am setting in the
macro that causes this behavior.

This behavior is not/was not seen in office 2003 environment. Access Macro
was not changed going from Ofiice 2003 to Office 2007.

--
joe richards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Joe Joe is offline

I am using office 2007.

I will close this post and re-submit in the access area.

thanks
--
joe richards