Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default macro in chart loses focus

I have four dashbards each with 4 charts containing macros, and each in it's
own workbook. The data for the macros is all in the same workbook. It works
fine.

This morning I had a request to create a table of contents so that the user
could click a button and open a dashboard. I crated this in a separate
workbook. It includes buttons with macros so, if the user clicked on army,
for example, they would go to the dashboard with all of the army information.
I created it in it's own workbook.
Then I decided that if they were going to use a table of contents to go to a
dashboard, I needed a way for them to get back to the TOC. So I created a
button in each dashboard that will take the user back to the TOC. Here's my
problem:
When a user is in the TOC and selects army, he goes to the army dashboard.
Then he selects 'back to TOC" if he wants to return. However, if the user
forgets, and selects army again, one of two things happens; either they get a
message saying the dashboard is already open, and then they get a VB error,
or they are allowed to go back to the dashboard getting no error. But ALWAYS,
when they go back to the dashboard, the chart that has the 'return to TOC"
button loses focus, and they have to click out of the chart and click back
in. By losing focus I mean the chart has three circles on each side instead
of 3 black squares. The user thinks the chart doesn't work.
How do I keep the chart from losing focus. This is my first time creating
macros. Is there someting special I should be doing? Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

By "goes to the army dashboard", do you mean the army workbook is opened, or
is it already open? If your code first opens the workbook, this explains the
error. Make the code a little smarter, so that, if the workbook is already
open, your code only activates it.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

By goes to the army dashboard, I mean that the dashboard is opend by the
macro. Once it's opened if it's already open, I get the error. I would like
to do what you are suggesing but I don't know how. Can you explain to me how
I can make it work so that if the workbook is open, the code only activates
it. Thanks.

Jackie

"jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

One simple way would be to add a line of code that closed the army file when
the user clicks the Back to TOC. That code would be

ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=False

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you Shane, but it would be more user friendly if the user clicks on the
TOC button again the army file is activated. Sometimes it is activated, and
other times I get a message saying the file is alredy open, and then a VB
error message.

Jackie

"jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Use something like this:

' sFileName is the path and file name of the workbook to be activated or
opened

For Each WB In Application.Workbooks
If WB.FullName = sFileName Then
' found the file
WB.Activate
bFound = True
Exit For
End If
Next
If Not bFound Then
Application.Workbooks.Open sFileName
End If

- Jon
-------

"jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Jon,
I get a syntax error he
If WB.fullname = k:\readiness and customer ops\fp_dash.xls Then

I tried changing fullname to the name of the file. I know nothing about VB.
I appreciate your help.

Jackie

"jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If WB.fullname = "k:\readiness and customer ops\fp_dash.xls" Then

and if you're not sure of the capitalization, use:

If LCase(WB.fullname) = LCase("k:\readiness and customer ops\fp_dash.xls")
Then

- Jon
-------

"jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Here is my original code. It works except I cant count on it not locking up
the chart.

Sub open_fp_wrkbk()
'
' open_fp_wrkbk Macro
' Macro recorded 10/31/2008 by hp90673
'

'
ChDir "K:\Readiness and Customer Ops"
Workbooks.Open Filename:="K:\Readiness and Customer Ops\FP_dash.xls"
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 7").Activate
End Sub

Below is the code you sent that I am trying to input. I entered it exactly
as you explained in your last messge, but I get a error: --compile error:
syntax. error Expected then or go to--
and the line --If LCase(WB.FullName) = k:\readiness and customer
Ops\FP_dash.xls Then-- is in red

Heres all of the code as I enter it:

Sub open_fp_wrkbk()
'
' open_fp_wrkbk Macro
' Macro recorded 10/31/2008 by Jackie
'
For Each WB In Application.Workbooks
If LCase(WB.FullName) = k:\readiness and customer Ops\FP_dash.xls Then
' found the file
WB.Activate
bFound = True
Exit For
End If
Next
If Not bFound Then
Application.Workbooks.Open sFileName
End If

I tried it with and without the LCase. Thank you.

Jackie

"jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Compare your line:

If LCase(WB.FullName) = k:\readiness and customer Ops\FP_dash.xls Then

with my suggestion:

If LCase(WB.fullname) = LCase("k:\readiness and customer
ops\fp_dash.xls")

If you don't put quotes around the file name, VBA tries to figure out what
commands you want it to execute. Also, if you're comparing the lower case
(LCase) of a file name to a string with capital letters, you will never find
a match.

- Jon
-------

"jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I am swamped.

Tell me about it....

- Jon
-------

"jackie" wrote in message
Thank you!. Sorry it took so long. I am swamped.

Compare your line: