Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default pie-charting non-numeric data

Dear All

My question is somewhat same like Mr.Doug

I want to place non-numeric data in data field of Pivot Table..i.e name
Is it possible?

"Doug VanOrnum" wrote:

I would like to chart and graph responses to a survey that are non-numeric in
nature, such as a bar graph for "yes" and no" responses to a question. Or in
particular a pie chart that shows how many people picked option "P" vs. "K",
"J" or "N". For the pie chart I have a column of data cells, each containing
one of the four letters.

In short, how do I accomplish charting and/or graphing non-numeric responses?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The data field displays numbers. However, you can use non-numeric columns to
generate those numbers.

Start with a list of labels in A2:A20, and a header ("Labels") in A1. Create
a pivot table from the data in A1:A20. Drag the Labels field to the Rows
area and to the Data area. You will end up with a pivot table with a list of
unique labels in the Rows area, and a count of each label in the Data area.

See this short tutorial for an illustrated example:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...idateData.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP