Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Pie Chart Not Charting Properly

I have the following data that I want to chart in a pie chart. The following
are mutiple choice answers to questions on a survey. The left column are
dollar amounts and the cells are formatted (currency)
The right column are the number of people who chose that answer.

$125 6
$150 3
$250 49
$275 5
$300 2
$500 59

When I chart these in a pie chart, I get the following pieces to the pie.
1 8%
2 9%
3 16%
4 17%
5 19%
6 31%

It just numbers the pieces and gives me the wrong percentages. Does anyone
know what could be happening? Can I use a pie chart for currency or should I
use a bar chart?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Karen said:
It just numbers the pieces and gives me the wrong percentages. Does anyone
know what could be happening? Can I use a pie chart for currency or should I
use a bar chart?

You actually should use a bar chart, but regardless of the chart type,
it helps the Chart Wizard if you label the second column with a title at
the top, like this:

Number
$125 6
$150 3
$250 49
$275 5
$300 2
$500 59

Leave the cell on the left, above the dollars, blank, to tell the wizard
that that's your category axis labels. Now make your chart by selecting
the range, including the top row with the label and the blank cell in.

--
Del Cotter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Karen said:
Thank you very much for your help. Leaving the cell on the left blank worked!

You're welcome, and thanks for following up to confirm success. Some
people you never hear from again.

--
Del Cotter