Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Change Names of Legend

Hello,

I understand that you change the actual text that appears in the legend, not
the font of it. I tried to follow the example given on this site and doesn't
work.

Here is the formula for one of the markers in the Chart. The formula refers
to 2 markers on the chart. I would like one marker in the legend to be
"plastic" and the other "hardware"

=SERIES(,Sheet1!$C$2:$C$28,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$28,1)

Thank you very much for your help. This is for a presentation due on Monday.
--
Thank you... Elaine
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Normally I wouldn't reply, but since the real experts may be off for
the weekend. Hopefully this helps, I don't know if I'll be following
up.
Okay, I've got Sheet1
Starting with A1, I lay out the data like this:
A B C
1 Plastic Hardware
2 Jan 10 20
3 Feb 12 24
4 Mar 13 29
5 Apr 15 33

If I chart this, the series formula for Plastic is:
=SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5,Sheet1!$B$2:$ B$5,1)

And the series formula for Hardware is:
=SERIES(Sheet1!$C$1,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5,Sheet1!$C$2:$ C$5,1)

That first section (where you have nothing, just a comma) is where I
have a cell designating
what shows in the legend.
=SERIES(SeriesName, CategoryName,SeriesData,SomeSwitchICantRemember)

SeriesName = Plastic/Hardware,
CategoryNames = Months of the Year or whatever you are plotting it by
on the x-axis
SeriesData = Cells showing you sold 10 Plastic units in Jan, 12 in
Feb, 13 in Mar etc.
SomeSwitchICantRemember = Some Switch I Can't Remember what it does.
Leave as 1, I suppose.

Taylor

'Not sure how you got your formula data, this may be the hard way, but
I write in my VBA debugging window (with the chart selected):
debug.Print activechart.SeriesCollection(1).FormulaLocal
(is this how you got yours?)

On Aug 16, 11:07*am, Elaine wrote:
Hello,

I understand that you change the actual text that appears in the legend, not
the font of it. I tried to follow the example given on this site and doesn't
work.

Here is the formula for one of the markers in the Chart. The formula refers
to 2 markers on the chart. I would like one marker in the legend to be
"plastic" and the other "hardware"

*=SERIES(,Sheet1!$C$2:$C$28,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$28,1)

Thank you very much for your help. This is for a presentation due on Monday.
--
Thank you... Elaine

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Why is top posting bad again?

Anyhow, just a note, it looks like your data is laid out a little
differently than mine, with the categories in column C, instead of at
the far left, which is kinda more standard, not that I'm trying to
squelch your creativity.

But I'll hazard a guess; if you type "plastic" in cell B1 and alter
your formula to read

=SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,Sheet1!$C$2:$C$28,Sheet1!$B$2: $B$28,1)

That should give you an idea.

(Is col C the far right of your data? If col B is plastic, I'm
guessing the data for hardware is in column A)

On Aug 16, 3:55*pm, Taylor wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hello Taylor,

I'll try your suggestions.

I thank you for your efforts in helping me. You're the best! --

Thank you... Elaine

On Aug 16, 3:55 pm, Taylor wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Select the series, and look in the formula bar.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Taylor" wrote in message

'Not sure how you got your formula data, this may be the hard way, but
I write in my VBA debugging window (with the chart selected):
debug.Print activechart.SeriesCollection(1).FormulaLocal
(is this how you got yours?)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Taylor suggests editing the series formula, which is my favorite approach.
When you select the series, the formula appears in the formula bar. You can
select one of the arguments in the formula, or in your case, locate the
insertion point between the opening parenthesis and the comma, then click on
the cell with the series name you want displayed in the legend.
Alternatively you could type the text surrounded by double quotes.

If you don't like to change the formula (some people don't), you can open
the source data dialog, click on the series tab, select the series, click in
the Series name entry box, and either then select a cell, or type in a
label.

- Jon
-------